Fall is coming: what's on your to brew list?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madtown Brew

Reaction score
Let's hear what everyone has planned for the change of seasons. Styles, recipes, experiments - anything you've been planning for the fall.

For me, it's a oatmeal stout (I already have a dark a$$ doppelbock going). The intention is to get something that has a nice slightly sweet, smooth oatmeal flavor - reminiscent of fresh baked oatmeal raisin cookies.

Batch size: 5.25 gallons
OG: 1.056

7# Maris Otter
1.5 # Flaked Oats (toasted in oven for 20 min @250 dF)
8oz. crystal 40L
8oz. crystal 120L
8oz. roasted barley
8oz. American chocolate
8oz. flaked barley

1 oz. EKG @ 60 and 30 min

I have always wanted to try experimenting with toasted oats, this seems like the perfect time to do so.
I also am considering adding about a cup of baked dark raisins. I think I'll bake them @ 300 dF until they get slightly caramelized/burned then chop or mash them. Sanitize in some bourbon and add to the secondary.
I still haven't decided on what yeast I'll use.
Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

So, what are you all thinking about for the cooler weather brews?

Looks and sounds pretty tasty!

I have more brews in mind than I have time to brew. First up is another batch of Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale (see the database). Then, in no particular order, a Scottish 80/-, a wit, and another attempt at the Czech Six lager recipe that flopped earlier this year due to crappy yeast. If I have time, perhaps I'll get something special going for Christmas, but I haven't decided on a recipe yet.

ive got a batch of a brown ale recipe fermenting in my friends dorm, and theres a spiced winter ale on deck featuring orange peel, clover, nutmeg, and cinnamon, if i start it in about a week when i can afford to, it should be done in time to have with christmas pie. mmmmm

musicman said:
ive got a batch of a brown ale recipe fermenting in my friends dorm, and theres a spiced winter ale on deck featuring orange peel, clover, nutmeg, and cinnamon, if i start it in about a week when i can afford to, it should be done in time to have with christmas pie. mmmmm

hmm. you must mean clove instead of clover?

Aren't you worried that the orange peel will clash with the spice flavors? Maybe use cascade or amarillo instead of adding any citrus.
I'd like to try a spiced brew as well, but I just don't have enough fermentation space for "non-quaffable" brews like spiced beers. I think I'm going to pick up some 3 gal carboys to try some stuff like that, though.

Pumpkin Ale for Thanksgiving.

Then probably some APAs and IPAs now that the temperature is down and I can avoid those nasty fusels.

-D

I'm waiting on a New Old Ale kit (AG) to arrive from NB. I took advantage of their $5.99 shipping and decided to get a few things. Also thinking of making an AG Oatmeal Stout.

A Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, A Brown Ale (since my first one failed), A Chili Pepper Ale, and a couple of Meads as well.

Seriously OT: @Yoop, I love it when you post in my threads cuz your avatar is sexy to look at.

@Talleymonster: Your avatar also rocks... just because C&H rocks. I even named one of my cats Hobbes.

better stop thtere, lest my post gets moved to drunken ramblings. :drunk:
hey, it's hump day and I'm procrastinating bottling

Pumpkin Ale in primary

Planned:
Northern English Brown
Oatmeal Stout
Some sort of German lager
Pliny Clone

That should hold me through the colder months. Need to decide on some good spring beers.

Planned are the three in my sig plus some more...

Belgian Wit with Juniper
She-***** Double Chocolate Stout
What's Seems to be the Porter
Pumpkin Ale
---------------

The Juniper Wit will probably be just be a basic Wit recipe with Juniper Berry

The Double Chocolate will be a Stout recipe with lots of Chocolate and Chocolate Malt

The Porter is the LHBS guys recipe for Porter

The Pumpkin Ale, well that's obvious...

Oatmeal stout is next.
Dopplebock to be brewed at Yankee Ingenuity IV.
Got some hefe yeast I don't remember buying, so I'm thinking weizenbock.
Would like to re-do Good Life Pale Ale with Papa Charlie's yeast.
I'd also like to have either a bitter or mild around, just something low-alcohol I can drink a few pints of.

My LHBS is closing soon and relocating. There inventory was poor to begin with and is now completely drained. Had to travel to Woburn and stock up (another tempermental LHBS owner, insisted there wasn't such a thing as Crystal 120). I hate driving in Mass, so I stocked up for the next seven batches.

Vanilla Bourbon Imperial Porter
Rye IPA
Sorghum IIPA
Wheat Wine
Old Rasputin clone
Bass Clone
Berliner Weiss

Rocherfort 8 clone is next.
Weizenbock to be dropped on my dunkelweizen yeast cake, next week .
Denny Rye IPA.....after

I'm usually doing 10 gallon batches but on deck for me this fall are a 5 gallon batch of a holiday spice ale with cinnamon, ginger & orange peel in time for Christmas and 5 gallons of dopplebock to lager all winter for spring enjoyment.

My first try at 10 gallons of Ed Wort's Haus Ale will be brewed sometime this fall as well. Lots of nice fresh Cascade & Hallertau hops to use! :D

Madtown Brew said:
Seriously OT: @Yoop, I love it when you post in my threads cuz your avatar is sexy to look at.

Hey- it's back!!!! How'd I miss that??? Good to see that one again!

I've got a starter for a Belgian Strong Ale cooling as I type, and sometime before pheasant hunting starts I want to brew BYO's Wee Heavy.

Bernie Brewer said:
Hey- it's back!!!! How'd I miss that??? Good to see that one again!

I've got a starter for a Belgian Strong Ale cooling as I type, and sometime before pheasant hunting starts I want to brew BYO's Wee Heavy.

:off:

I'm ready to get the dog out and shoot some ditch chickens!

I've got a Belgian Dark Strong Ale in primary and will brew an " identical" batch when that yeast cake is open...I want to see for myself what different pitching rates will do.

still haven't gotten this whole long term planning thing down, since they'll both have to age for quite awhile...I'm going to be HB-less until they mature.

I am doing a pumpkin ale, essentially a very slightly variation of Yuri's recipe. Also plan to do an Irish Ale, Holiday Ale, and a Chocolate Macadamia Coffee Stout.

I got a Belgian Blonde fermenting right now. (Man that sounds like it should be in the "Brewing term that sound dirty" thread.) In about two weeks hello Triple. And a Berliner Weisse if I can find enough info. And when the temp goes south a few lagers this year.

American IPA (planned for this weekend)
Cranberry Ale (next month for Thanksgiving through Christmas)
Vienna Lager
Classic American Lager

Obsidian Stout Clone (Starting next week)
Espresso Imperial Stout on Obsidian yeast cake
Roggen Bier for cask ale
Mirror Pond Clone

Can't wait to start.

Wild

Smoked Porter!!!!!!!

I'm brewing it tomorrow, hopefully it will be hitting its prime by Thanksgiving time frame (or slightly before). Something about a porter during the cold months....and then it being smoked, WOW...should be nice to drink that on a cool autumn day.

I'm doing a stout of some kind, perhaps oatmeal ?? I don't know really, still haven't picked out a recipe. And I'm also making "Santa's Dilema" holiday ale for Christmas time, and I really want to try Orfy's Hobgoblin clone once I get some of my fermenters and carboys emptied out. Shouldn't be that long before I can start cause I've got a couple brews in secondary that I should be able to put in my first kegs maybe Sunday afternoon ?

Dude said:
Smoked Porter!!!!!!!

I'm brewing it tomorrow, hopefully it will be hitting its prime by Thanksgiving time frame (or slightly before). Something about a porter during the cold months....and then it being smoked, WOW...should be nice to drink that on a cool autumn day.

Nice! Home smoked? You ever post pics of your smoker box?

I just kegged my first Porter of the season.

Belgian dark strong has another week to go before kegging

On deck this weekend, an Irish Red and an Oatmeal Stout

Soon I'm going to brew a batch with 2 loaves of Swedish Rye in addition to a bunch of malts I haven't finalized yet - other than some 6-row.

I dont have my recipes formulated yet, but I know I am going to make myself a nice porter for the colder months. Probably going to have to get a nice English Bitter going first. I am all out and kind of miss it. Also, I am going to try my hand at lagering once the temp gets cold.

I plan on doing an Oatmeal Stout, a pale ale, a heff, a schwarzbeer and lastly a bourbon barrel brown ale this fall. Looking forward to it.

The good news:

I got grains, hops and harvested yeast out the whazoo so I can brew anything I feel like:

Grains.JPG

WinterBrew_!.jpg

The bad news:

I need some more fermenters.... (10-gallons Oktoberfest on the rleft, 10 gallons Anchor Steam on the right).

WinterBrew_2.jpg

I just bottled the Pumpkin Ale, so its should be ready fairly soon.

I'm thinking of:
Wee Heavy
Peppermint Christmas Ale
Oatmeal Brown

I need to start put together the recipes...

My Pumpkin Ale alla Yuri is going in secondary tomorrow.

I have a Christmas brew and a carmel cream ale next up.

I'll probably do another Wit soon so I can let it age until Summer time.
I washed a ton of the yeast so I might do a couple so I have a few batches to enjoy.

CatchinZs said:
I'll probably do another Wit soon so I can let it age until Summer time.

Whatchootalkinbout? Aging a Witbier? Why in god's name would you do that? Wits 'n Hefe's only get worse with age in my experience. Unless you're talking about some kind of Imperial Wit a la Bell's 8000. If you want to make something now to age for the summer, make a nice lager.

the_bird said:
Nice! Home smoked? You ever post pics of your smoker box?

Home smoked.

I used the smoker box to smoke it, but I haven't finished it. I meant to put shelves in it and never got to it. However, the smoker box worked great. I do have pics, I'll post them.

Evan! said:
Whatchootalkinbout? Aging a Witbier? Why in god's name would you do that? Wits 'n Hefe's only get worse with age in my experience. Unless you're talking about some kind of Imperial Wit a la Bell's 8000. If you want to make something now to age for the summer, make a nice lager.

I found that the AHS kit came out really green and aging it is making it much better.
I'm trying to shake an astringent smell...no taste just strong smell.

I need a hop fix! APA for sure. SWMBO goes on third shift soon, which means lots of free time to brew. From there, who knows???

Back