Don't tell non-brewers to bring beer to a party

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webgodhog

Reaction score
T's exactly what the subject sounds like. I just finished hosting a Super Bowl party (Yeah Giants!!) anyway, I told everyone that it would cover the meat if others brought sides and beer. The only beer we were treated to was Coors light and bud. What the heck! Don't these people appreciate good beer? Does anyone else experience this?

Haha, yeah, or I need to teach them what real beer is! If only I had anything bottled. My pipeline ran dry over the holidays..... I know, sad day. I just got a red ale bottled and a Texas bock in the fermenter yesterday....

Sounds like you had a perfect opportunity to educate your friends.

Next time hosts a beer tasting and let them provide the eats. If you can only convert 1 of the "infidels" maybe you can get in to homebrew heaven. :)

I went to a party where I was told they would have beer, and all they were serving was Michelob Ultra.. :(

Airplanedoc said:
Sounds like you had a perfect opportunity to educate your friends.

Next time hosts a beer tasting and let them provide the eats. If you can only convert 1 of the "infidels" maybe you can get in to homebrew heaven. :)

I about lost it on the "infidels" part......just great. I have a planned event on Friday, I need to go get some local craft for that

Maybe they'll bring Platinum next time. You know, triple filtered, smooth finish, top shelf taste.

TyTanium said:
Maybe they'll bring Platinum next time. You know, triple filtered, smooth finish, top shelf taste.

Haha, yeah I saw that commercial. Just like the triple hops brewed miller light

Well I was the only one who brought some home brews to a party! I ended up drinking most of it myself so cheers to me!

lol... I have my 14 year old son ready to throw things at the TV now when the "we hop our beer three times" crap comes on. He takes it personally that they claim their beer is better because of it, now that he knows why hops can be added at three different stages in beer production.

I find that a little knowledge has both helped and harmed my appreciation of commercial beer.

house rule if you bring beer you may not bring cans or twist offs. helps keep the odds in your favor, plus you can reuse the emptys.

Rowdy said:
house rule if you bring beer you may not bring cans or twist offs. helps keep the odds in your favor, plus you can reuse the emptys.

Don't rule out the awesome cans! I was drinking Surly and 21st Amendment all night! Threw in a mirror pond for good measure though :)

Depends on location, here in Oregon I would be surprised to see a domestic end up at a party. Things like Corona once in awhile (don't know why?), but the rest are usually micros.

The only time I have people bring beer is when I don't feel like sharing (ie. low pipeline) but I seldom drink any of it. Except for a couple friends that will pop over with some Torpedos or some 3 Floyds.

Rowdy said:

+1

My friends know I home brew. Most of my friends would rather drink my beer and bring other goodies. But when they do bring their own I don't care what they bring. I'm drinking my beer. Lol And of course the number one rule always applies....always. Don't throw my damned bottles away or you'll be divin' in the garbage after it!

As a home brewer....for a party I would have also brought cheap beer. For most parties it is quantity, not quality.

However, as a home brewer, I also would have provided the beer and asked for food. Home brews > most beers.

I about lost it on the "infidels" part......just great. I have a planned event on Friday, I need to go get some local craft for that

You now you're a Homebrewer when: You consider people who drink "fizzy yellow beers" Infidels.....

You now you're a Homebrewer when: You consider people who drink "fizzy yellow beers" Infidels.....

No, you're just a brewdou*** beersnob, not a homebrewer or a beer geek. That attitude gives homebrewers and beer enthusiasts a bad name. People like what they like, and there's plenty of beer out there without a need to bash a person for their choice of beer. If you're worried about what folks might have on hand or bring to a party, rather than critisizing them for what they like, just make sure you have plenty of what you like for yourself.

I saw the most interesting insert about, how the human penis is much longer then it’s suppose to be, and it came down to……….that’s the way they/we LIKE IT!
I figure it’s about the same with BMC? Popular opinion has spoken……
:D

If you're worried about what folks might have on hand or bring to a party, rather than critisizing them for what they like, just make sure you have plenty of what you like for yourself.

THIS.

Most folks who visit the house know we homebrew. They may or may not like my beer, so I'm not offended when they show up with BMC. My only rule: if you dont finish it, you take the rest home. I'm pretty forgiving with other peoples choices in beer, but it doesnt mean I want Bud Light laying around my house.

Sounds like you need to get new friends.

Troof. :mug:

I can't honestly believe anyone I know would be foolish enough to bring that skunk into my house.

Then again, I typically have one or two kegs of homebrew laying around.

I know lots of good beer that comes in twist offs and cans: Tallgrass, some Boulevard, Pyramid, and plenty others I can't think of.

I also know lots of crap beer that comes in pry offs :cross:

This thread is full of beer snobbery. Bad vibes.:(

I have a few friends that all they really like is BMC. I except these choices and try to have a blonde or red on tap for big events. Some have really come around with their taste for different kinds of brew. Just dont try and tell me how "refreshing" that coors light is........

yet another one of "these" treads????........snobs!

I only started this thread because I thought it was funny. These guys normally drink the craft brews anyway. It must have been a quantity over quality for the big game. :tank:

But I definitely made them take the leftovers home. Now if only my pipeline would fill up faster :drunk:

I have a few friends that all they really like is BMC. I except these choices and try to have a blonde or red on tap for big events. Some have really come around with their taste for different kinds of brew. Just dont try and tell me how "refreshing" that coors light is........

You must have failed the bar test.........pity.

I couldn't imagine asking people to bring beer to my house. If you don't have enough beer to host a party, you might want to re-think using the descriptor "brewer" before your name...

Airborneguy said:
I couldn't imagine asking people to bring beer to my house. If you don't have enough beer to host a party, you might want to re-think using the descriptor "brewer" before your name...

Wow... just wow on that statement... /headdesk

And I'm with revvy. I still drink bmc when I want a crisp beer on a hot Ass muggy day. A thick ipa or stout or porter dont hit the spot. Hell, I usually have a case of high life or pabst in my fridge. I'm not a hater of any beer :) just the companies that are behind the products. If you don't like it... don't drink it. Don't criticize the people that do. Just gives beer connoisseurs a bad name :)

I don't tell people to bring anything. If I'm having a party, I provide everything. It's the only way to be fully satisfied with everything being served. In terms of beer, i serve homebrew, and buy bmc as well as a craft sampler from a couple breweries. How could you ask people to bring something, at their discretion, then complain about what they bring? Sure, having a party at my house is expensive, but everyone always leaves having had a good time, and it makes me feel good to hear people say they enjoyed themselves.

I brought homebrew with me to the party I attended. Only a 6-pack, but they were all >12% ABV, and a couple of bombers of strawberry blonde for the ladies. My wife also brought some chips.

Back