Can you have decent quality with paint program?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butcher

Reaction score
I made up a lable last night in my Paint program went ok untill I printed it out. With the small text it was horribly pixalated and difficult to read. I think it was 8 point font. When it comes time to print out actuall labels I would go to Staples to have it done on laser printers but Im wondering if it is even possible to get a decent quality label only using Paint?

If you want to be adventurous, you can try using a vector program.

Basically Vector images are based on points, lines and formulas, so they do not depend on pixel points on a grid to display the image. This means you can re-size the vector image proportionally and have a huge version or tiny version without compromise in image quality. This also is useful when using the same image on different sized canvases or materials. For instance I made a logo for a homebrew, and I wanted to use the logo on a bottle neck band and as a transparent background layer on the larger label. I only had to make one vector drawing, copy+paste, and resize it.

A raster image (photoshop, MS Paint) creates images based on pixels in a grid. When you zoom in or scale the image up, you will see the pixels that the image was based on larger; thus the blocky or 'rasterized' image.

An awesome opensource vector program that I use is Inkscape. It takes a bit of learning, but is a nice option if looking to print nice quality images or using the same image in different sizes.

I also agree about Inkscape. There's also Draw, which is include with the LibreOffice suite. Both are totally free and way better than Paint.

Paint is only really good for brainstorming on your laptop.

Use Gimp, if you don't want to 'obtain' photoshop, and if you won't be doing any actual drawing, just manipulating pictures and adding text etc.

I used the paint replacement from paint.net as well. It has some photoshop functions built in. You can layer images,& other neat little functions.

Back