Cornelius Insulation Jacket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
Needed :
closed cell camping padding
scissors
duct tape
keg for measuring

Summer heat is apon me and I've found a cheap and easy way to insulate korny kegs when in transit.

Grab a single roll of the blue (color don't matter) camping padding. The very thick stuff. It should be closed-cell camping padding.

Put your keg on the corner and trace the round base of the keg. Cut out marked circle.

From the uncut side of the padding, wrap it around the keg until it overlaps itself and mark that from end to end and cut it.

Now simply attach all parts with duct tape. I duct taped my whole jacket just because they tend to come apart unless enforced with lots of tape.

You have any idea of the insulation rating of one of those pads?

1752-padding.jpg

That is the blue camping padding I was talking about. Its an amazing insulator, but it does tend to want to keep its shape (i.e. it hates bending out of its original shape). The reason you see two holes is becuase the first base I cut was too small. You want it perfectly sized.

1752-jacket.jpg

That the jacket around my korny keg. I originally only had three strips of duct tape holding it together, but it wasn't enough so I went balls to the wall and used two types of duct tape to keep it inplace. It keeps very very well, i would say better than a cooler.

As for the duct tape part. I would actually say lacing it up with a string like a football or a shoe would be the best solution, and then using expanding insulation foam, then a knife to cut out the extra foam. That would create a perfect "jacket". Maybe even reflective or white paint on the outside to furthur insulate it.

incase you are wondering, those bright round stickers are quick indicators of what side the gas is on. I go through so much beer its a waste of time to try to read the small etched words on these kegs. I also number my kegs so I can catalog what beer is where.

I'll do step-by-step pictures on my next creation.

Almost forgot. For ductaping the top of the tube you need to cut an 2 inch slit every inch in the duct tape. This makes it so it folds over nicley as part of the circumferance of the tube. Since straight duct tape doesn't fold well as a round piece (it will, but it will wrinkle horribly).

OK. I'm all for innovative and imagination, etc., but how tight is it on the corny?

The reason I'm asking is I presume you would want to get the keg cold before sliding it inside the sleeve? Right?

BTW, on top of the corny (on the rubber) are indentations indicating which side is "IN" for gas...:D ;) This way you can connect the hoses without seeing which side is "in" and which is "out". It also helps when someone can't remember which post goes where. :D

I have those paper tags with the string tied to my handles. I write on them the batch number, the name of the brew, the date brewed, the date kegged, the OG, FG, alcohol % ABW and ABV, and any other notes...all on one side. Much more room than a dot.

Nah, I'm that lazy. So lazy that I don't want to even read the tags. I point the bright dots to the front and connect my CO2 to it and pressurize it ot my preset 15psi

For furthur information I collect from my brewers journal, which is not even closley updated as my online version which is

Down

There

Saying My Brews in Progress

V

Back