Ok to Harvest some of the plant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nate4g63

Reaction score
I have first year plants and the cones lower on the bines are developing really well. I'm thinking a few will need picked soon. Is this ok to do? My plants continue to keep growing and new buds are coming almost everyday. Should and can I wait for them all or pick as they are ready?

When the cones are ready, pick them. Don't wait for all of them to be ready.

Some of these are bigger than quarters, others are as big as dimes. A few really do look ready, but this is my first year so I could be wrong. Here are some pics:

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

Size doesn't tell you much. You can try the German flick test: flick a cone with your finger. If it snaps off, it's ready. Then you can compare the feel of that cone to others, it will have a dry, papery feel. Not brittle and not flexible. Pick everything that's ready.

On the other hand, no need to do so and leaving cones that are done on the bine will not impact the immature cones.

The gripping hand: one hot, dry, windy day can turn your whole harvest crunchy brown and useless.

I go by whether the edges are turning brown - I just took in about a quarter pound, dry weight, last weekend. Plenty left. My limited experience says that picking the big ones accelerates the growth of the small ones.

We just harvested some of our cascade plant over the weekend. 25% of the developed cones were brown already so they got tossed. We got 1 wet pound that was still good and there is probably another pound of developing flowers left that we'll harvest later. Maybe I'll call this first harvest Cascade Mittelfruh, haha.

I've got to ask this question, is there any way to focus your iphone on the subject (the hop)? All your pictures are focused on the background. You have very nice trees there :)

After doing some more research and looking at a few youtube videos, they're definitely not ready. A few will be soon but a majority still have little ways to go. Thanks for the replys.

My iphones camera sucks, hands down. I shoulda used my regular digital I have, I wasn't thinking. Yeah trees are in no shortage here.

You can tap on the screen where you want it to focus before you take the pic.

Back