Just made my first batch of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baggerg81

Reaction score
just made my first batch of beer, a canadian blonde from Coppers. followed my local brew store's intructions, and is in the fermentation bucket. its on day 3 and bubbling nicely. used safale us-05 yeast,pitched at 70. do not have hydrometer, store said to wait 14 days then bottle. sound about right??

welcome to the obsession. you really should go out and get a hydrometer. it's the only way to know when your beer is finished. but 14 days in primary should be just fine.

You know... I'd personally wait a week more. Really, as long as the airlock has settled, you don't have any obvious active fermentation, its a as much a matter of preference as anything else. Letting it set a week longer gives the yeast a chance to clean up a little more and may result in a cleaner flavor. Since it's your first, go with what you know. Next batch give it a week longer then have one side by side with your first batch to see which you like better. You'll be suprised the differences you can taste sometimes. Congrats on you first batch!

welcome into the world of good, even great beer. i started with a mr beer, as most of us did. many all-grain beers later, and still loving it :mug:

so then whats the difference of leaving it in the fermentor bucket a little longer or bottling and letting it age?

Congratulations!! So, Bagger, how much longer? I've left mine fermenting as long as three weeks on the yeast without issues but it depends on temperature. So far, the 14 day rule has served me well, except for a couple of under-fermented high gravity IPA's!!

Its on day 4 right now.bubbling 1 every 4sec. room temp has been at 70. learning alot of info on this site, its great how much knowledge you can get . I would like to get a carboy and after day 14 let it second in there and clear up, but my local brew store said with the simple coppers kit not to bother. the hardest part of this hobbie is doing nothing.

The dude at the LHBS (cant remember name) is very knowledgeable...I've asked him a bunch of questions in recent months.

Back