source for BIG growlers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schristian619

Reaction score
I've been looking for some large size flip top growlers and haven't been able to find any. I'm brewing a beer for a friend that will be a gift and would like to bottle it in at least a 3 liter growler. I know Stone sells them, and I could get one from them and remove the label, but I'd rather buy a few blank ones. It would be great if I could find a 9 liter one like that Piraat Ale bottle, without having to spend the $275 for the beer. Any suggestions?

+1 on this.

My LHBS sells a pack of 4, half gallon growlers for $15.99. I actually think that's a pretty good deal. What do you think?

The only issue is they're clear glass. thoughts?

also...they have those thin metal twist on caps. I could def see it not being air tight. does anyone have any thoughts/concerns on this?

My whole reason for getting these is to be able to give them out to friends to drink over the weekend, so i can't really see any of these being a major concern. If i want to store them longterm, i'll just use reg bottles and cap them.

Those are great for Kruugers purpose. Still haven't found any of the 3+ liter ones though. Won't be bottling this beer for a few months, so I have some time to keep looking, hopefully I can find something

It seems like the beer could go flat too fast to enjoy in a 3 liter. Would you consider multiple smaller growlers?

+1 on this.

My LHBS sells a pack of 4, half gallon growlers for $15.99. I actually think that's a pretty good deal. What do you think?

The only issue is they're clear glass. thoughts?

also...they have those thin metal twist on caps. I could def see it not being air tight. does anyone have any thoughts/concerns on this?

My whole reason for getting these is to be able to give them out to friends to drink over the weekend, so i can't really see any of these being a major concern. If i want to store them longterm, i'll just use reg bottles and cap them.

These are NOT growlers. they will not hold the pressure from carbonation. you will likely have a mess on your hand if you try to carbonate in them. they are essentially 1 gallon carboys.

You might try 3 or 4 liter wine jugs. They can be had for real cheap or free. Maybe go for a walk around the neighborhood on garbage/recycle day?

You're right, the beer would go flat fairly quickly in a 3+ liter growler. It would be meant for mainly novelty, as its for a friend who loves big bottles and the like, but also, when consumed, it would be in one sitting over a couple hours with a group of people. So, I think it will be ok. Stone does 3 liter growlers, and I've shared a 3 liter double bastard with some friends and all was good.

sorry i should have clarified further. I dont plan to bottle condition these growlers...just fill them from the tap with carbed beer. the air tight issue i have is, after filled, if a friend puts it in the fridge and doesn't drink it for 3 days, hopefully the caps are tight enough to not seep out that little pressure over 3 days and therefore have flat beer before it's even opened. Granted once open, it's a on deathrow, but if they plan to drink it that day, shouldn't be a problem.

The Stone growlers are 2 liters, not 3.

I had to look on their website to make sure (I don't go to Stone often enough to get a growler), but they are 67.6 oz == 2L.

So what you want is a 2L swingtop bottle.

A rudimentary google search found this site which sells them both individually for $12.50 and in cases of 6 for $64.90.

If you're from jersey just go to the Ship Inn and get their growlers. With a meal i believe a growler fill is $7 w/ the growler, $5 to refill. That's half price as compared to your LHBS. The growlers will hold carbonation for a month if unopened, but once opened they're screwed. for larger aging vessels i use the Opici a/k/a O'Cheapy 1 gal wine jugs my cheap parents save for me. they're amber and work great for experimental brews, no good for carbonation and long term aging, though.

Redstone has a nice 1L fliptop, but that's the best i can do for ya. plus the vanilla cinammon mead is absolutely worth the buy. AMAZING!!:D
redstone_bottle.jpg

that's funny, I've just heard about The Shep and am planning on going next week. seems like a good time. I've recently gone to The Coppermine in North Arlington, i belive. someone told me it's very similar to The Shep and always has different beers on tap than The Shep.

Back