Diamond Knot Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdoft

Reaction score
Hey all. My first year hops are near harvest and it looks like Galena is my only substantially yielding plant. With that in mind I've been looking for recipes that use Galena and I've come across Diamond Knot IPA which sounds delicious and bitters with Galena. So I'd like to clone it for a partial mash but I've never tasted it and doubt I'll be able to get a hold of one before I brew. So....anyone who has tasted and/or cloned or just feels like heckling take a look at what I've come up with so far and please throw me some input.

Malt Bill:

6lbs pale extract-added late in boil
Mash around 152 for an hour:
1lb Munich
1lb Crystal 20L
.75Lbs Carapils

Hops:
1oz whole Galena 60min IBUs unknown
.5oz whole Columbus 30min
1oz whole Columbus 10min
Dry hop 2oz of whole Columbus and, perhaps, however much fresh Galena I have left over, for two wks or so.

Yeast:
White Labs California Ale V?

On Beer Smith this nears the OG of 1.056 and 40IBUs that was given in an article I read about DK in a brewing mag. Actually BS gives my IBUs as 61 but I'm guessing my Galena won't be that bitter...who knows?

Thanks so much all. You rock. Hard.:rockin:

Seems like a solid recipe (although I like my IPAs pretty dry, so I would drop the carapils). The only thing that worries me is that you don’t know the AA% of the bittering hops. I guess if it comes in under you can just call it a super-hoppy pale ale.

Good point about the carapils. I'll drop that at least a quarter pound and increase the crystal to make up the OG. It is hard not knowing the AA-I guess I never thought about that when I planted the hops. Since I like ridiculously bitter IIPAs and smooth hoppy pales I guess it's all good!!!:mug:

The crystal will add just as much sweetness as the carapils. I would up the Munich instead, I might even swap .5 lbs of the extract for sugar to help it finish dry.

Thanks so much. I will add more munich or extract. It also looks:cross: like I'll have to add more hops unless I wait until they are totally dry to weight them. (4-5 oz wet for every 1oz dry!) What sort of flavor does munich add? I've had a couple beers lately that have a tangy malt flavor I'd really like to avoid adding to my beers-I thought it was wheat but when I tasted it in Avery's Maharaja DIPA and Green Flash Le Freak...now I have no idea. If it's munich..then I want it gone altogether. Thanks again. This really helps me learn.:cross:

I believe that DK uses ones of the English ale strains of yeast. Though I don't think you can go wrong using WLP051 or WLP001. I bet using the Wyeast 1450 (Denny's Fav50) would do excellent here as well

Well, I sure like Denny's and they serve fine yeast 24hrs a day so maybe I'll go with 1450. Thanks so much. Having input from someone who's in the Pacific Northwest...and can actually taste the stuff is invaluable.
TD

This beer turned out quite delicious. I undershot my OG resulting in a lowish ABV and I dry hopped with Amarillo. The result is tangy, grapefruity and frothy. Flavor is very close to Odell IPA. I like that I can have two (ABV is about 5 percent) and still see straight. Like Levitation but better in my opinion:ban:Always wanted to do the banana thing.

Back