First Run on Brewery 2.1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorongil

Reaction score
Despite the fact that the temperature in the Phoenix area hit 100 before 9:00 this morning... I had made up my mind that I was going to brew, and brew I did...

I had many "firsts" with this brew day, most successful, one was not... List of things I did for the first time today:

1. First 10 gallon batch
2. First time on the new brewstand
3. First time with my control panel
4. First time using my home-built CFC to chill the wort
5. First time using my new patio mister to chill myself while brewing

Since this is a photo forum, on with the pics...

The Rig:

IMG_5982.JPG

Close-up of the ghetto fabulous control panel:

IMG_5993.JPG

All doughed in with plenty of room to spare:

IMG_5987.JPG

Beautiful clear wort and FWH:

IMG_5990.JPG

11 gal in the kettle - short by 1/2 gal:

IMG_5995.JPG

The chiller setup (more on this later):

IMG_5997.JPG

My video and thoughts in the next post...

First of all, here's the YouTube Vid:

Overall the day was very successful. I ended up with 9.5 gallons finished wort, which I divvied up into 2 fermentors. I'll be trying 2 different yeasts for a nice comparison - 1/2 will use WLP002 and 1/2 will use S04 (dry). We'll see if going with the dry is a good way to save a couple $$ in the future...

The only thing that went wrong was the chilling. The CFC was nice and leak-free, but my idea of freezing my old IC in a 5 gallon bucket to serve as a pre-chiller for our lovely 95 degree tap water backfired on me when the water that was left inside the IC also froze, plugging the whole thing up. I ended up using the ice to chill the tap water a bit, but in the future I think I'll just be pumping ice water...

Th patio mister fan has allowed me to reclaim my patio as usable space in the summer months, so I'll surely knock out a couple more batches before the weather becomes more pleasant. Up next: my White Ale - the perfect summer beer in the desert!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a blast, man. :) Haven't watched the video yet because I'm at work.

I know you brewed the Bitter and I've brewed that recipe twice now. I'll be interested in your notes about the different yeast characteristics. Or better yet, a taste to evaluate myself. :D

I was watching the video as my wife walked in the room, looked at the screen, and asked "is that like beer brewing p0rn?"

Uh, no, uh, well, ok maybe a little.

Or better yet, a taste to evaluate myself.

Anytime... we really should get together sometime for a tasting...

nubru - I've never had anything I've done described as pr0n... now I feel kinda dirty.

nice clear video from the iphone. The forging a sword comment made me LOL.

someday I to shall have a keggle and brew 10 gallon batches. :rockin:

Anytime... we really should get together sometime for a tasting...

Yes we should! :) My IPA is almost gone but I'll be kegging my Tripel and my Bitter sometime this week. Doppelbock is kegged but I'm going to filter it as soon as I get my 5 micron filters. The one that came with my assembly is 1 micron.

Looked like great fun - I'd love a setup like that!
And I was very impressed by the video quality on the iphone!
I've not upgraded to the s yet but my regular 3g iphone is playing up so we'll see :D

Back