PSA: Hops are getting dirt-cheap again :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to start a group buy... from my experience it is MUCH easier to start a thread stating "DENVER GROUP HOP BUY!!" Then offer information in the thread about varieties and pricing. People arent going to find it in this thread. FYI

I got some the same price as is listed there on top of a group grain buy. The hops rode free with the grain, which made me smile. :)

Here is the spreadsheet that I can send out to anyone starting a group buy... it works quite well.

2009_hops23.bmp

if you buy the one pound bags they do, you are placing orders for pounds (at least when I ordered I was)

Out of curiosity, when you do a large group buy like this, the hops come already separated into 1lb bags, right?

Well yes, and no.

You can get 1 pound bags.
You can get 5 pound bags (at a reduced rate)
You can get 11 pound bags (at an even more reduced rate)

The great thing about a group buy is that you can order ANY quantity that you want. If you want 6oz of Liberty... then get 6 ounces and pay for 6 ounces. Without a group buy you are stuck paying for and getting 1 pound of EVERYTHING. As you can see above, most guys ordered less than 1 pound of what they ordered, but the rest is picked up by other buyers. This is a great way to get say 15 types of hops in your freezer, for the cost of say 7.5 pounds (instead of 15).

The "surcharge" in my spreadsheet above is the cost per ounce for weighing, and re-vaccuum sealing when they arrived here. I filled all of the orders and vaccuum sealed all packages.

Their prices for most lbs of hops are around $20 still, only the willamettes are in the $10 range, but the prices are still way better than the LHBS. I have a pound of amarillo and cascades coming on thursday to got with the near pound of whole simco that just arrived courtesy of Jay!

Their prices for most lbs of hops are around $20 still, only the willamettes are in the $10 range, but the prices are still way better than the LHBS. I have a pound of amarillo and cascades coming on thursday to got with the near pound of whole simco that just arrived courtesy of Jay!

Thanks for the heads-up!

I actually needed Willamete so that was good to hear! I picked up a pound of Galena while I was at it!

Two pounds from Hops Direct for less than thirty bucks! :D

Back