Never underestimate Stupidity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Reaction score
So there I was last night, racking a batch from the primary to the secondary, I was sitting watching it transfer kinda bored when I spotted my new Sankey Keg sitting on the counter. (quick fill in- I just recently bought some used bar kegging equipment to get into kegging, 59L Sankey came about 3/4 full of aparently 15 year old beer.. back to story) So I spotted the keg and thought to myself now would be the perfect time to see if there any pressure in the keg. So I grabbed a screw driver that was laying on the counter and walked over the the keg. Alot of you probably guess what happened next, Everything COVERED.. walls, ceiling, me,, everything. and of course I'm racking my beer about 5 ft away.. Luckily I had place the bucket lid over the bucket but there's chance that some might have dropped into my Carboy..

Ohwell live and learn.. next time I'm racking maybe I'll bring a book or something, or better yet just walk away..:ban:

When you press the pressure release ball you're supposed to tip the keg on it's side, otherwise you... oh. I see. Well, I guess you learned your lesson!

:D
When you press the pressure release ball you're supposed to tip the keg on it's side, otherwise you... oh. I see. Well, I guess you learned your lesson!

And even when you do, oh god the smell is terrible, I'd bleed it in the yard or driveway. I hate the smell of 15 year old beer
:D:D

yeah it was good times.. kinda smelled like old fruit flavoured hard liquor..

I think I'm just going to bring it out side and attach a coupler to it and let it come out a short length of hose.. I should probably keep the dogs inside for this one..

if it is more than 1/2 full though you will still get beer spewing out if you lay it on it's side. either turn it all the way upside down or just put on a parka...

I recently had a friend who did the same thing, then he moved it to his shower and completed the job there, then he took a shower with the keg.

Unfortunately....I had the same experience....twice. The first time was when I got my first keg....saw it sitting there...not much of the 4 or 5 year old beer in a driveway. I wanted a fuel tank for a hot rod...so I asked, and took it....but before I stuck it in the pickup....I leaned over it and pushed down on the ball.....DUH!
Fast forward 10 years....Decided since the hot rod never happened....I have a great candidate for a Keggle....at work....in nice cloths....I lean over the damn thing and did it again!

Some days I'm so stupid I should wear a warning!

In my youth, I was at this big kegger with a couple of my buddies...
Someone had broken the only tap before the last keg was kicked.
Being the ever resourceful man I am, I pulled out my multitool and asked for the biggest bowl in the apartment. I'm proud to say very little of that keg was wasted. :)
Fast forward to now. My housemate's teenage son had a kegger before I moved in while his mom was out of town. The keg is still in the garage. No idea what store it came from. No idea if it's under pressure or not. I will think of this thread fondly when I decide it's time to re-use that keg. :)

well I figured I should post a picture of the ceiling and wall for your viewing pleasure.

if it is more than 1/2 full though you will still get beer spewing out if you lay it on it's side. either turn it all the way upside down or just put on a parka...

I recently had a friend who did the same thing, then he moved it to his shower and completed the job there, then he took a shower with the keg.

Too bad your friend wasn't a she...

Shower with keg... Oh man!

Corollary B to the First Law of Hydraulics:

When relieving pressure, aim it somewhere harmless.

Back