Did I mess up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxdawg

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm Ben from Georgia (Go Dawgs).

Just brewed my first batch last night and I'm worried I may have done something wrong. I made a wheat beer using several kinds of grains and obviously hops during the "flavoring" and "aroma" stage.

After the 60 minute boil, I let it cool and poured it into my primary fermenter. Pitched the yeast, put the airlock on and off we went.

I didn't actually strain any of the contents of the boil out before putting it in the fermenter. Was I supposed to avoid having any of those solids in the next stage? Should I do anything now to correct it?

Thanks..

From what I understand, if you go to a secondary fermenter that can keep some potentially unwanted flavors from seeping into the beer, but all that stuff will settle out and you should be ok. But, going to a secondary will increase your risk of contamination, and some guys say it is absolutely NOT neccessary. Also, be sure not to go to the secondary to early, maybe around one week.

1-2-3 rule of thumb: 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, 3 weeks in bottles.

As the others said - just leave it be - Relax, Don't worry, have a home brew (RDWHAHB). It won't "ruin" your beer, and may give it some flavors you like. I do not use a strainer when I pour from the brew pot to the fermenter, I just pour slow and stop when it starts getting to the solids at the bottom. I use a wort chiller so it really settles stuff quickly.

If it "really" bugs you, siphon the clearing beer to a secondary fermenter after the primary fermentation stops and you will leave all that stuff behind in the bottom of your current fermenter.

Me - I would have another home brew and rack it up to experience...

Dan

Back