Unknown Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

expatdude

Reaction score
This is rather an unusual cry for help. I am working in a country where alcohol is banned, but many of us make our own brews. A friend recently brought me 3 kits back from the UK. The labels (and the instructions) were removed and replaced with labels from Pedigree Chum tins! In the process, the yeast also went awol.
I haven't opened them yet, bit I'm assured by my friend they are bitter. Can anyone help with a general procedure including quanties of sugar and suggested yield. I have a container of Youngs dried active yeast. The tins are approx 7" tall & 4" diameter. Many thanks in advance.

Hello Mark, most beer kits available in the UK about the size you have described are for 40 Pints and require a Kilo of sugar. However there are exeptions but I'd try that.

Roger.

Thanx Roger. It's a while since I used a kit (just back after 4 years in the real world). Should I boil the extract? If so for how long?

Mark,
most kits just require you to tip the contents into a fermenting bin and add two pints of boiling water and then top up to the 40 pint level with cold water.

No problem mate, what've you got to lose apart from parts of your anatomy if yer caught. :D

hehe....not as bad as that here in Q8. Worst that can happen is I loose a few more brain cells from drinking it!
It's performing well...what sort of time scales am I looking at. Heavy first fermentation seems to have died down. It's in a fairly warm place.

Back