Cold Crashing Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiRbY29869

Reaction score
This is my first batch of EdWort's Apfelwein and I'm kind of impatient. I really wanna try this stuff and was wondering if I cold crash it in the fridge for about a week if it will still be able to carbonated or if this going to knock too much of the yeast out. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas on this. Thanks a lot. Oh, in case it helps, it's been done fermenting for about 2 1/2 weeks and is still pretty cloudy.

Was it cloudy juice to begin with? I've never bothered to cold crash my Apfelwein. The lees from Montrachet compact nicely and it clears great when it is finished.

Yea it was slightly cloudier than the pictures that I saw of yours when it began but it was still about the same darkness as it. Right now it looks like yours did at day 7. I used Simply Apple which is not as clear as some of the store brands of juice that I have seen and am going to use in the future (a lot cheaper). Maybe this made a difference? I was figuring that it was going to go back to the original darker color but maybe it won't with this kind of apple juice.
http://www.simplyorangejuice.com/ If you go there and look under products it will show you a picture of Simply Apple and that is very close to what it looked like.
Thanks for the reply.

If it was cloudy juice to begin with, it will not clear. If the gravity is 1.000 or lower, go ahead and bottle. No need to crash cool.

Use clear juice if you want a clear Apflewein. What you have now is, Naturtrub Apfelwein (It means naturally cloudy).

Works for me I've been waiting to bottle this stuff!! Now I'm going to be very antsy for the next two weeks waiting for it to get carbonated. Thanks a lot for the reply and the information. I'll be starting a second batch today with the clear stuff. Thanks a lot again EdWort. Hope its as good as the nearly 4,000 posts say it is.:mug:

EdWort said:
No problem. Remember the 3 glass rule and that it gets better with age.

You know ed, maybe it doesn't need the 3 glass rule. I only need a teaspoon. The neighbor only need a teaspoon. My parents only needed a teaspoons. Maybe call it the teaspoon rule?

when are you coming to SD? Want a tasting?
I have four beers on tap right now.

If it was cloudy juice to begin with, it will not clear. If the gravity is 1.000 or lower, go ahead and bottle. No need to crash cool.

Use clear juice if you want a clear Apflewein. What you have now is, Naturtrub Apfelwein (It means naturally cloudy).

I have not got a lot of experience with Apfelwein but I made 1 gallon using frozen juice I squeezed from fresh apples last fall and fresh squeezed is always cloudy and my wine cleared very nicely!! It has been sitting about 4 months but looks very clear!!

Apfelwein.JPG

Latest posts

Back