First Batch: What went wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col_klink

Reaction score
First of all, thanks to everyone on these boards! The amount of info is astounding!! :rockin:

So I just sampled my first batch (extract) and I am not really enjoying it :(

I'm hoping maybe you guys can shed some light on what could be the cause of the final results.

This was an extract kit I bought from my LHBS. A Belgian Blond Ale the ingredients are listed below.

I am having a hard time putting this into words but my problem with the beer is that it has a very "fruity" flavor. It's almost a "wine-like tangy-ness". After drinking one my lips get sticky. I have never had a beer make my lips sticky before. Maybe it is fruity AND yeasty?? Finally, I think it could use just a little more carbonation.

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys have any ideas what could have caused this. Maybe suggestions on what I could do better next time. I did 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, and 3 weeks in bottle.

Recipe from LHBS-

6.6# Light LME
1.65# Wheat LME
1# Candi Sugar
Steeping Grain- 8oz aromatic malt?
2 oz bittering hops (type unknown)
2 packages T-58 ale yeast

Fruity could be fermenting too warm. What was the ferment temp?

Too yeasty could be drinking it too young. How long has it been bottled?

I have no idea on sticky lips.

Edit: reread OP. I find my beers are best with 4 weeks in a fermentor and 4 weeks in the bottle to carb. You might just have young beer flavors.

It would be helpful if you can provide temperature information for:

-pitching
-fermenting
-conditioning

It may help next time to leave it a full 3 weeks in the primary and no secondary. Moving it off the cake after just a week may have hindered the yeast from cleaning up after themselves. Also, how long did you refrigerate before trying one? When I give a bottle to someone, I always tells them to give it 3 days minimum in the fridge before opening.

Sounds like a ferm temp issue.

But Blondes can be rather fruity / yeasty. Are you familiar with commercial examples you can compare yours to?

It may just not be the right style for you.

Thanks for the responses all. After reading them, i am thinking ferm temp may have been a factor here. But I just picked up a used compact fridge for $40 on CL so all I need now is a temp controller for it. Thanks again for the input and all the great info on here.

I would also tell you to just give it a little more time. I would let it condition in the bottle for another week. I find my beers tend to really come together around the 8 week mark and 4th week in the bottle. You would be amazed and the difference one week of conditioning can make in the taste of your beer. Also Belgian beers tend to get better with age.

I would also tell you to just give it a little more time. I would let it condition in the bottle for another week. I find my beers tend to really come together around the 8 week mark and 4th week in the bottle. You would be amazed and the difference one week of conditioning can make in the taste of your beer. Also Belgian beers tend to get better with age.

+1 on this.

That's good to know! Maybe its not a total loss :) I'll try 'em again in a couple of weeks. Thanks again!

Thanks Floyd! That's awesome!

You're quite welcome. After you put together the controller and start using it, you'll be on here with me (and the others who use them) telling everyone how much you love it.:mug:

One of the nice benefits beyond precisely setting the ferment temp is the ability to, once it's done, touch a few buttons and cold crash the whole thing down to 36*F for 3-5 days before bottling/kegging to clarify the beer. And you never have to even touch the bucket/carboy until it's all done.

Latest posts

Back