priming sugar to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomas77

Reaction score
I usually force carbonate my beer but I want to age a strong scotch ale in the keg and was wondering if by throwing corn sugar in the keg would the beer fully carbonate?

you would probably end up with a good bit of sediment if you did, plus I imagine it would take longer that force carbing.

I usually use .75 oz. of priming malt. I've also shortened my dip tube & added a trap to the end to reduce pick up of sediment.
I keg condition all my beers.

I used to keg condition. I think the general rule of thumb is 1/2 the amount of priming sugar as you would use for bottle conditioning.

It's a tubular filter (trap) that slides onto the dip tube & helps filter sediment when you keg condition or for general use when force carbing.
Don't forget to shorten the dip tube when keg conditioning ( usually about 1/2"). I use 3 gal kegs. Your LHBS should have them. My shop even installs them for me.

RmikeVT said:
I used to keg condition. I think the general rule of thumb is 1/2 the amount of priming sugar as you would use for bottle conditioning.

Is this really necessary? I only ask because I recently started naturally carbonating in kegs. I have used the full 5 oz in my last 2 without issue but I usually put it into my keezer after 1.5 weeks and haven't had one over carbed yet.

I've keg conditioned a few beers in my kegs, and my experience has been that 5 oz puts the carbonation level on par with bottle conditioning. I've left my kegs to sit fir upwards of 6 weeks conditioning before I put them in the freezer. Other than more sediment on the first pull, no side affects.

I guess because I'm new. I'm. Trying to figure out all this different stuff people are doing. That I think some of it is not necessary. Drunk! Like cutting off dip tube? Why? A trap?why? A stone?why? I've done okay without doing all these extra things , my beer taste great. Just venting! Cheers!

Back