Have you ever been embarassed making an alcohol purchase?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatHead

Reaction score
I believe today was my first time being truly embarrased purchasing beer/wine/liquor. When I was young I drank everything from Falls City to Mad Dog 20/20 but it was OK then because I was young, poor, and getting drunk and puking was actually kind of a status builder. As I have aged I tend to buy at least mid priced alcoholic beverages because my head, kidneys, and stomach all appreciate the extra couple bucks. However recently I decided to branch out from brewing beer to wine/mead and needed a gallon jug and being a 100 miles from the nearest homebrew shop you can guess what I decided to do....yep, ol Carlo Rossi to the rescue. I bought the big four liter jug of Carlo Rossi Sangria today and I had a hard time looking at the girl checking me out. I was afraid I would either laugh uncontrollably or pulling a McLovin. BTW mixed with some Ginger Ale it isn't bad but I am trying to pace myself because I fear a drunk on this stuff will result in a lost Saturday because I will refuse to leave the bed.

So have you ever been embarrassed walking up to the counter with some really bad and/or cheap alcohohol.

In college I always bought craft beer at the same grocery store. Good prices and selection... and not too far from my apartment. Then one day my girl friend wanted me to buy her wine coolers. Approaching the register was a definite walk of shame. When I tell the story, I always say that the cashier laughed at me... at this point I'm not sure if he actually did or not.

Egh, buying wine coolers or Mike's for SWMBO is like picking up... ahem... feminine hygiene products for her. The first time you will be beet red, trying to hide them under the other crap in your cart, but after a while you just don't give a $hit.

There is no pride like the pride of a 22 year old, for sure. On the other hand, it was the first and last time I bought wine coolers.

Egh, buying wine coolers or Mike's for SWMBO is like picking up... ahem... feminine hygiene products for her. The first time you will be beet red, trying to hide them under the other crap in your cart, but after a while you just don't give a $hit.

I hate to admit this I actually kind of like Mike's. I usually pick them up for her unless it is really hot and I am drinking outside but I actually hope she leaves a couple of those behind for too long. Those and Smirmoff Triple Black's are pretty good for what they are.

In college I always bought craft beer at the same grocery store. Good prices and selection... and not too far from my apartment. Then one day my girl friend wanted me to buy her wine coolers. Approaching the register was a definite walk of shame. When I tell the story, I always say that the cashier laughed at me... at this point I'm not sure if he actually did or not.

Yeah I am not a big fan of buying wine coolers but I always assume(hope) they know those are for my wife. Lately she has been on a kick for those Bacardi mixed drink things which seems to not be too bad in the walk of shame category.

I'm never embarrassed when I walk out with a forty of Miller High Life... although I only go to stores where they don't know me, so maybe that says something different :D

I use everclear to clean some things and I always feel ashamed when I buy it. I tell the clerk how its not for drinking, just cleaning and I'm sure they just think I'm a raging alcoholic.

Buying girly drinks is equivalent to buying condoms...embarrassing, but at least you're getting laid! (or hoping to at least)

I use everclear to clean some things and I always feel ashamed when I buy it. I tell the clerk how its not for drinking, just cleaning and I'm sure they just think I'm a raging alcoholic.

I drank Everclear a couple times when I was young (under 21). I figured out it was not for me after breaking my rearview AND sideview mirror and putting a huge dent in the hood of my car. Then passing out on the hood and spending the better part of the night asleep on the hood. Why did I do it you ask? No idea.

Everytime I make sangria, I buy the cheapest raspberry red wine I can find. Would never even dream of drinking it, but damn it makes for some awesome sangria.

I am always a little bit ashamed to go up to the till with 2 bottles of raspberry wine.

I guess I'm a little more thick skinned. The last time I was embarrassed during an alcohol purchase was when I got carded at 16 and the drinking age was 21. I'm now 52.

For someone reason, this thread immediately reminded me of a buddy that used to make odd purchases with his beer.

His favorite antic was having just enough cash for beer. He'd go to the grocery store and pick up beer, diapers and baby formula. Having only enough for the beer, he'd have the cashier void out the baby stuff.

This was probably ten years ago. He still has no children.

When I moved to TN I had no idea you couldn't buy beer between 2am and 7 am(I think those times are accurate) anyway after a long night of overtime working severe weather I got off at like 5 or 6 am and stopped for some beer. The elderly woman at the register acted like I was trying to buy cocaine for a child.

I believe today was my first time being truly embarrased purchasing beer/wine/liquor. When I was young I drank everything from Falls City to Mad Dog 20/20 but it was OK then because I was young, poor, and getting drunk and puking was actually kind of a status builder. As I have aged I tend to buy at least mid priced alcoholic beverages because my head, kidneys, and stomach all appreciate the extra couple bucks. However recently I decided to branch out from brewing beer to wine/mead and needed a gallon jug and being a 100 miles from the nearest homebrew shop you can guess what I decided to do....yep, ol Carlo Rossi to the rescue. I bought the big four liter jug of Carlo Rossi Sangria today and I had a hard time looking at the girl checking me out. I was afraid I would either laugh uncontrollably or pulling a McLovin. BTW mixed with some Ginger Ale it isn't bad but I am trying to pace myself because I fear a drunk on this stuff will result in a lost Saturday because I will refuse to leave the bed.

So have you ever been embarrassed walking up to the counter with some really bad and/or cheap alcohohol.

im not embarrassed to admit this but on a hot day i love me some c and r sangria and @ 7.00 a gal how can u go wrong

Years ago, I was dating a girl who moved to St Louis. One weekend I was visiting and she took me on a tour at the AB brewery, then to the City Museum, and we finished the day at The Chocolate Bar. I'm not sure why I didn't marry that woman, but that's beside the point.

The Chocolate Bar was amazing. I had chocolate martini after chocolate martini and they were all different. Their menu was nothing but chocolate drinks and desserts. No shame in offering that stuff.

I'll proudly admit that sometimes I just need an umbrella in my drink.

For someone reason, this thread immediately reminded me of a buddy that used to make odd purchases with his beer.

His favorite antic was having just enough cash for beer. He'd go to the grocery store and pick up beer, diapers and baby formula. Having only enough for the beer, he'd have the cashier void out the baby stuff.

This was probably ten years ago. He still has no children.

I just have to say that is one of the funniest things I have heard. I can just imagine the cashier telling everyone she knew about the man who put back formula so he could have money for beer. I just hope he looked back and forth dramatically before deciding.

I bought a 6 pack this morning at 0730 after leaving the Fire Dept. The Red Sox were coming on at 1200 and I had to be ready! Everyone was looking at me, ya I was "that guy"!

Nope

I've walked up to the counter with 2 boxes of Franzia and just played it cool. I think having little to no shame is why it doesn't bother me. Like i have no issues holding purses or buying tampons or anything like that. Go shamelessness!

Franzia is our favorite white elephant gift exchange gift. You may feel silly buying it, but it always ends up getting snatched several times at the Christmas party.

Years ago, I was making a fraternity booze run and had someone ask me to pick up a bottle of Arbor Mist for his date. I had no idea where to look, and the clerk got a laugh when I had to ask for help.

scubasteve03 said:
I buy Carlo Rossi not for the wine, but for the one gallon fermenter it comes in!!

Luckily I don't have to actually buy the stuff to get the bottles. My father in law drinks it like its going out of style. All I have to do is go pick up the empties before he takes them with his recycling.
But to answer the OP's question, no, I don't get embarrassed by alcohol purchases. I quit caring long ago what random strangers think. When I was a little younger, maybe. I'm married now, a little fatter, not as good looking, have a kid. I have nothing to prove. ;)

I had to buy a 36 pack of bud light for my dad last week. I out of habbit went to the store I always go for good craft beer. The guy working who always sees me come in looked at me funny, I said dont worry its not for me, he laughed.

I was actually embarrassed by a purchase my wife made. I came home to find a sixer of pink Bacardi wine coolers in the fridge. And I seriously got worried that someone would see them and put them in the back of the fridge. Like my 5 year old daughter really cares.....

Nope

I've walked up to the counter with 2 boxes of Franzia and just played it cool. I think having little to no shame is why it doesn't bother me. Like i have no issues holding purses or buying tampons or anything like that. Go shamelessness!

This. I actually volunteer to go for her. I could not care less, and she sure seems to appreciate it.

As for any embarrassing liquor purchasing, I can't recall catching any grief for my purchases, astute (well regarded micro's/single malt scotch/good bourbons) or otherwise (6pack RR light and a fifth butterscotch shnapps, for example)

I don't generally have issues buying alcohol, but living near West Virginia a lot of the times I feel like I'm 10 miles behind enemy lines drinking my Sam Adams/whatever other micro might be available in some local bar etc.

I used to be embarrassed about buying the cheap stuff but since 24oz purchases of Busch gold tops are normal it makes it easier. I also can't forget the gentleman that was buying wild Irish rose at 7am to go home and watch his new "bama" national championship DVD.

I bought Miller for a buddy's wife one time and they were promoting it at the liquor store. With every 12 pack purchase, you were given a t-shirt. So, there I was, paying for Miller, with a "Great Pilsner Taste -- Triple Hops Brewed" T-shirt tucked under my arm. The cashier that I regularly have beer-related conversations was the only one available, or I would have gone to another line. I paid with great shame in my eyes and we didn't exchange a word.

The girlfriend and I actually buy Carlo Rossi Sangria on purpose in the summer. We throw it in the ice-cream maker until it turns into a slushy and drink away. It's cheap, effective, and I get a jug out of it. What's to be embarassed about!

I work graveyard, and usually I don't get off in time to make it to the store before they stop selling. There are occasions when I do, which is always fun. I just love the look of the teller when I buy a six pack at 6:00am.

Latest posts

Back