Fresh maple mash paddle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyrhine

Reaction score
Hey I just made a mash paddle out of a fresh cut piece of maple (literally cut off the tree). Was just wondering what a brew-safe method to stop any warping? I heard to avoid most finishes, are there any that won't mess with the mash? Also heard to rub mineral oil on it. Thanks.

my main concern would be the wood hasn't been cured. im just wondering the effects of the wood still being wet would have. it may not have any.

most people from what ive read leave the wood naked .. you can use a food safe oil on it if you want but it may affect the beers head retention. other things ive read say that after a couple of uses you would have to reapply the oil. i say its just better to leave it naked. less hassle.

Thanks. Ended up doing that. It warped a little cause I got over excited and cut it before it was dry. Dry now and still have a good amount of maple left so might try to
Make another soon

Back