NB The Innkeeper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlk47

Reaction score
Hey guys, for my 2nd batch I've decided on the Northern Brewers "The Innkeeper" extract kit. I know I've read that NB typically has better instructions than other kit makers, but I wasn't sure if I should follow their recommendation or go by the typical advice.

NB instructions for The Innkeeper say 2 weeks primary & 2 weeks in the bottle(only about 10-15 of their kits say less than 6 weeks total). Would you guys follow this or go by the standard 3 weeks primary/3 weeks bottled that I see recommended so often on this forum.

Just curious what you all think. Thanks!

1. What style of beer is it?

2. I'd bottle when the SG is stable, not after some arbitrary number of weeks. The I'd bottle condition until it tastes good, 3 weeks or more usually.

metanoia said:
1. What style of beer is it?

2. I'd bottle when the SG is stable, not after some arbitrary number of weeks. The I'd bottle condition until it tastes good, 3 weeks or more usually.

It's listed as a British pale ale.. I will definitely be doing the gravity readings to find out the right time to bottle, but I guess I was more curious if NB generally is more accurate on their time recommendation than other kit makers?

2 weeks is plenty for the Yorkshire yeast. Usually finishes (incl. cleanup & clearing) in 7-10 days for me.

Use the force, carl. By force I mean eyes, tongue and hydrometer.

TyTanium said:
2 weeks is plenty for the Yorkshire yeast. Usually finishes (incl. cleanup & clearing) in 7-10 days for me.

I choose the dry Nottingham yeast.. The fermenting temp range seemed better for my basement (usually is around 60-65 degrees).

I choose the dry Nottingham yeast.. The fermenting temp range seemed better for my basement (usually is around 60-65 degrees).

That will work too, although I greatly prefer the flavor of the liquid strains for this type of beer. Nottingham is "clean" at cool temperatures, so you'll lose some of that characteristic "English ale" flavor with nottingham. Not a bad thing, of course, just something to keep in mind.

Nottingham usually ferments quickly, and will leave a tightly compacted yeast cake within about 5-7 days after fermentation starts. So your timeline is still about right.

Once fermentation ends, the beer will start to clear. Once it's clear, and of course has been at a stable FG for at least several days, it's fine to bottle it.

+1 on the 1469 in the future. I am sure the brew will turn out quite good with the dry, but 1469 has quickly become one of my 2-3 favorite yeast strains. Makes great English Milds and browns too.

As for the time table - I would agree that this beer is ready fairly quick. I have brewed it 4-5 times in the past year. I still go with 3 weeks in primary and then bottle or keg. But it is very drinkable as soon as it is carbed. I like it best though at about the 5-7 week mark. Don't drink it all at 4-5 weeks (if you don't have to:)

Also - 60-65 is better for 1469 in my opinion. I have not liked the 1469 as much when it has gotten warmer (high 60's/low 70) on me. Personal opinion.

Thanks for the feedback guys! One other quick question.. Is it ok to be opening the fermenting bucket during the fermenting process? I know I'll need to open it to take gravity readings later in the process.. Just wasn't sure if I would "screwup" anything if I opened to peak on it during the first week. I know I have to watch out not to contaminate the batch but wasn't sure if oxygen getting in could ruin a batch?

Peek away. Don't worry about it. Yeast pushes out CO2 like crazy during active fermentation.

why do you need to peek? Personally, I seal it up, never take any gravity checks and just let it go for 3 weeks. Taste it and take gravity reading the day I plan to bottle/keg.

If you add the right amount of healthy yeast to properly cooled wort. .. . . there is basically zero chance the yeast won't do what they are supposed to.

I almost ordered that style today, but went with the German Alt instead. Is there a brand that the Innkeeper is close to, like say a Bass? Just curious.

Back