Saison with peppercorns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey guys, i'm planning on brewing a saison, flavored with grapefruit peel and pink and green peppercorns. i'd like some feedback on how much peppercorns to use. i've read that P&G peppercorns are milder, so i'm thinking of using a bit more than usual, 0.75 oz. of each (lightly crushed with a mortar and pestle) added at 5 minutes before flameout. i don't want the flavor to be dominant, but i definitely want it to be noticed.

kind of new at this, so i'm not sure if you'd need to know, but i'm using 1.5 oz of kent goldings at 60 minutes and 0.5 oz of czech saaz at 15 minutes.

thanks!

made this beer this past weekend, and ended up using 0.75 oz each of pink and green peppercorns, added during the last 5 minutes of the boil. i couldnt really detect any peppercorn flavor, but a few of my friends said that they could. this should be ready in a few weeks, so i'll post how it turns out.

it's been awhile since i was last here, but i thought i'd give an update.

this beer turned out really well, a nice, thick, rich head and great flavor. still can't detect much peppercorn or grapefruit flavor (at least, not as much as i'd like), so next time i think i'll add 1.5 oz. each of the pink and green peppercorns, and the rind of 3 (as opposed to 2) grapefruits.

recently brewed a honey black pepper ale with 3 oz. of lightly cracked black peppercorns and 3 lbs. of light clover honey. it's still in the primary, but the gases escaping from the lock definitely have some peppercorn aroma, which is exactly what i wanted.

I brewed a Saison a couple of months ago where i added about 1/8 tbsp crushed black peppercorns to primary in one gallon of a split two gallon batch. Everything else equal. The pepper version has a nice spicy character lacking in the other one. Both fermented with 3711.

What about adding some cascade or centennial hops to help out with the grapefruit flavor?

Back