checking homebrew on plane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjphillybrew

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am flying to Colorado later today and I would like to bring a few of my latest batch to share with friends. Does anyone know if home brew will be fine if I check it in my suitcase? I did read somewhere online that it could explode.

Thoughts? Any experience with this?

Thank you,

Jeremy

There is the chance of it exploding but if you wrap it well and seal it in some ziploc bags I dont see why it would not work.

yeah if you bring it on a plane you may have issues with it exploding... a friend of mine went from VT to FL and when he got there he lost 2 out of the 12 he brought. maybe if you left a little more room in the bottle for expansion... but then you may have lower carbination... tricky... maybe if you took the chance put it in a tupperware or something just in case it does you wont be dealing with beer soaked clothes.

I've done it multiple times with homebrew/mead. It was just a little shook up. I Put them in a zip lock bag just in case!:D

There is a VERY minor risk of rupture (more due to temperature swings than altitude), but the more likely cause of beer loss is simply glass breakage due to rough handling. I prefer to bottle in aluminum bottles if I think I may ship or travel with my beer. Budweiser sells a few products packaged in 16 oz aluminum bottles that you can re-cap with a bench capper.

There is a VERY minor risk of rupture (more due to temperature swings than altitude), but the more likely cause of beer loss is simply glass breakage due to rough handling. I prefer to bottle in aluminum bottles if I think I may ship or travel with my beer. Budweiser sells a few products packaged in 16 oz aluminum bottles that you can re-cap with a bench capper.

+1. My inlaws bring me beer/Jagermeister every time they visit from Germany. My fatherinlaw usually tapes the caps so there is less chance of them popping off, and then putes them in ziplock(and then tapes the zip part) and then makes sure they are no where near any edges. Never had a leaker yet, Just take proper precautions. And the bottling in aluminum cant hurt either.

+1 on wrapping up the bottles in case they rupture. My sister's boyfriend took back a case of homebrew I made for him, and he lost 2 out of the 24 along the way. I wouldn't recommend having broken glass and beer saturating your clothes in a suitcase.

Try to use commercially labelled bottles. most airline policies state that you caj check commercial booze. I haven't had a problem with unlabelled bottles. Yet. I slide them into hiking socks.

i have taken beer with me and never had a problem. i took 2 cases of junk beer. a case of gensee and old german. all cans!!! lol

I was not aware that the aluminum Bud bottles were re-capable. Will a hand held capper do the trick??

Back