Just did my first cider.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
Let me know what you guys think about this recipe.

5 gal 100% apple juice no additives or preservatives.
1 16 oz bottle pure maple syrup
4 cups brown sugar
4 cups cane sugar
1 pack nottingham yeast.

I took the 5 gallons of apple juice to 155 degrees for 25 mins added the sugar and syrup, cooled the must and poured it into the primary, then pitched the yeast. simple recipe but I think it may work. I woke this morning to see the yeast starting to work.

No worries if that's what floats your (love)boat!

With an ale yeast it'll turn out sweet with that much sugar added to it - I guess you also like the flavours in maple/brown sugar too.

Why did you heat the apple juice for so long? I prefer to add some campden tablets overnight to kill any wild yeast/bacteria and pitch the yeast i want next day with whole pulped apples - that works well to keep the flavours.

Heating pure apple juice (which has probably been pasturised already) seems a little bit of overkill regards to flavour/aroma in your hard cider.

But fair play to you JOHN51277 - it's all good so far! :)

Well I cannot have any sulfer bi-products in my beer or wine. (alergic) but I figured I would do it just to kill any thing. I wanted to go for a semi sweet cider. I just hope it turns out good.

Thanks for the input.

Well I just racked to my secondary after about 9 days in the primary. It is starting to clear up. I am still getting bubbling about every 3-5 seconds. I was thinking about keeping it in the secondary for about 20 days then bottle. I hope it will still have some sweetness in it. I used the nottingham yeast. I cant wait to bottle it. and try it. Yummy.

JOHN51277 said:
Well I just racked to my secondary after about 9 days in the primary. It is starting to clear up. I am still getting bubbling about every 3-5 seconds. I was thinking about keeping it in the secondary for about 20 days then bottle. I hope it will still have some sweetness in it. I used the nottingham yeast. I cant wait to bottle it. and try it. Yummy.

You racked it over and didn't try any??????????

What the hell is wrong with you man?!?!?!?!? :D ;)

I'm really curious about this because I just pitched a packet of Nottingham in a gallon of cider. 3 hours and it already has a small krausen. :D

ORRELSE said:
You racked it over and didn't try any??????????

What the hell is wrong with you man?!?!?!?!? :D ;)

I'm really curious about this because I just pitched a packet of Nottingham in a gallon of cider. 3 hours and it already has a small krausen. :D

Weird, my cider never really krausened.... I was told to expect it to look nothing like a beer fermentation.

Mine keeps bubblin but looks just like cider sitting there.

Mine didnt krausen either I used nottingham. It did bubble like crazy but no foam, just small bubbles, and it is still going strong.

BTT...

How did this turn out?

I've had this in a gallon jug with an airlock since early December. How long til this stuff is ready?

Regretfully I never took a SG, but the taste of this is pretty awesome, but still very, very sweet. I do detect a slight alcohol burn though.

I never see any activity at all, even after swirling.

Back