Can anyone recommend a good PM IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SW Brewer

Reaction score
I am still trying to get my efficiency up and practice mashing. I know there are lots of PM IPA recipes out there, but I would rather hear what the recommendations are of you folks. Anyone have any killer, hoppy IPA PMs that they can recommend?

Greg

Well there has been some talk of a Stone IPA recipe from EdWort on the forum. I am sure its a good brew. Check this thread.

Post #13 has the recipe which surely can be converted to PM.

I have that one in the secondary now, but I missed my efficiency by quite a bit. That is why I want to practice with PM brews, so that I can get some practice and have a safety net. Thanks though.

Greg

This is one all my friends seem to enjoy. It is really right between an APA and an american IPA in style.

5 pounds of extra light dry extract (or 6 lbs. of light lme)
1 2/3 lbs. of UK 2 row
1 1/8 lbs. victory
1/4 lb. flaked barley
1/8 lb. crystal 45

mash the grains at 154 for 40 minutes in approx. 1 gallon of water
hops:

60 minutes:
1/4 oz simcoe 13%

20 minutes:
1/2 oz cascades 7.8%
1/4 oz simcoe 13%
1 oz. amarillo gold 9.2%

5 minutes:
1oz amarillo 9.2%
.5 oz simcoe 13%

dry hops:
.5 oz cascade
1 oz simcoe

I have also made the Blind Pig IPA kit from More Beer (They actually got the recipe from Vinnie) and I didn't like it at all when it first carbonated but after 2 months in the bottle it is GREAT. Looks like they list it as an extract with specialty grains, I could have sworn there was some 2 row in there.... http://morebeer.com/view_product/18434/102180 (when I was looking for this I noticed that Vinnie has also put together a Pliny the Elder kit both extract and AG)

I think Ed's Stone Clone is going to be my first AG. I keep getting sidetracked from making my first AG batch. I just need to convert my cooler and I'm ready to go.

I have a suggestion...(Keep in mind I'm a hophead and I tend to go a bit crazy, but this time I showed constraint!)

7lbs light LME
2lbs marris otter
1lbs munich(light)
1lbs vienna
.5lb crystal 40
.5lb melanoidin
2oz simcoe@60 min

1oz amarillo, 1oz simcoe, 1oz sorachi ace @5min

1oz amarillo, 1oz simcoe, 1oz sorachi ace @flameout

then dry hop with a mix of sorachi ace, simcoe or amarillo. I'd go nuts and 2oz of each personaly(and I'd add 2 more lbs of munich and another lb of crystal:D but that's venturing into IIPA/Barleywine territory)

1056 | American Ale™ if you want a good clean yeast.

-----or-----

3522 | Belgian Ardennes™ Is my new favorite yeast. Slight bananna and spicy... gooooooooood yeast!!!!!

This recepie gets close to being on the high end of FG for IPA so you might want to mash a bit cool to make a more fermentable wort. I personaly like the extra mouthfeel and sweetness but that extra body and the higher FG will put the beer out of style and it won't do good in a competetion.

---:EDIT:---

Just got to thinking. 1272 | GF All Americal Ale II™ sounds like a GOOD yeast as well. I have it fermenting a similar recepie right now!!!

Blender said:
Well then how about a Sierra Celebration Ale recipe? Its a good beer. Here is a partial mash recipe.

Done. After bottling the last two batches, and down to two in secondary (one of which is a double IPA that needs to age until October), so I have some room to brew. I am making a starter for the celebration ale now. Wish me luck!

Greg

Good luck! Are you following the recipe verbatim? I am into PMs but I might be looking to boost the grain bill a little higher to keep it down to only around 3 lbs DME.

I know the conversion is no problem, but I'm just curious as to how this turns out. Something that both SWMBO and I love.

Well, it's a Double IPA, but regardless...click on the link for the Hop Beatdown in my recipe pulldown. I love that beer.

I did the recipe nearly verbatim. Beersmith showed the IBUs lower than the recipe stated, so I upped the bittering chinook hops by 1/2 an ounce, and I did a somewhat continual hopping method with the hops. I also did the DME at about 30 minutes into the boil and 15 minutes remaining. I did a larger starter and its CRANKING in the fermentor now. It was bubbling after 4 hours of pitching the yeast, so I am happy. I ended up with 3 gallons of wort after the boil. My OG was 1.064, which is what the recipe called for. I am really looking forward to this one.

I wouldnt call this a double IPA. I have a Northern Brewer Double IPA kit that I did and it had an OG of 1.086. It used 12 pounds of LME! Its been sitting in the secondary for three weeks, and was in the primary for two. I have probably five more weeks in the secondary and then I dry hop for a week, then bottle. Its like having a roommate for gods sakes.

Greg

Back