Alternative PIDs, anyone use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njbabs

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience w/ these PIDs I'm seeing on ebay:
REX-C100
http://bit.ly/kO5j3G

I've found both the manufactures site (http://www.rkcinst.com/) and manual and it seems like all I'd need for a 'beginers' controller. I know others have cautioned about ebay PIDs, so I was curious if anyone had experience w/ this particular model. I realize most prefer/choose Auber.

As background, I'm building a two vessel system. I'll only be using 1 PID for control (5500W element in Kettle) and 1 PID just for monitoring temp of MLT.

I think many of the PID's come from the same source. It really is the support you pay for if you buy from Auber. I've had enough issues with EBAY stuff that I look for US based companies to support USA by keeping some of the profit here as well as knowing someone will respond to me.

Most of your standard PID's, as stated above, come from the same manufacturer.

I did buy one of those, then found it was only of use with a k type thermocouple and not the pt100 probe I bought for it!
My tip is to read the description carefully and make sure that
a - it'll work with your chosen sensor
b - it'll give the output you need

You will also need manual mode to dial in % power for the boil.
I use omega pids in my system. I got them off ebay. You absolutely need to know the full model # of what you are buying. Kieth outlined the two most important features. If you are using SSRs with dc input, you will need pid with pulsed dc or dc output. Some companies call it SSR control output.

Thanks for the input everyone. The REX-C100 does not have a manual mode, and according to the seller is not designed for SSR output.

Maybe I'll use one for my MLT probe since (1) doesn't need manual mode, and (2) I don't know that I'll be wiring the system to even allow the MLT PID to run the element.

We're just getting a electric brew system setup and I am using an Arduino microcontroller and a SSR to get things going and so far it works well.

You have to watch out on this particular PID.

All of the ebay sellers (and there are many) use almost the exact same description, which falsely states :

Voltage pulse output: 0/12V

There are models of that PID that do support the SSR pulse output, but I've yet to find someone on ebay actually selling one of those models.

The title of the listings are also almost always the same, too, and they say:
Dual Digital F/C PID Temperature Controller Control

I don't know what that "F/C" part is, but it is not "Fahrenheit/Celsius". These things are Celsius only.

There is another PID out there on ebay that does support SSR output and can be gotten for close to $35.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-PID-Temperature-Controller-D1S-VR-220-10-OFF-/320648402068?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa8225494
Just make sure the thing has "VR" in the model number.

That thing is only Celsius, too, but at least it can control an SSR.

The TET612 PID I use was from ebay, displays in fahrenheit and is pretty dang configurable (Can use relay or SSR for output, a few alarm functions, etc). I can no longer find them on ebay, but you can get them from here:
http://www.lightobject.com/JLD612-Dual-Display-PID-Temperature-Controller-P43.aspx

But, do keep in mind that none of these support manual mode. The Auber PIDs are the only reasonably priced PIDs that I have seen that support that kind of operation.

edit: the TET612 is no longer the deal it used to be. I got mine, shipped, for about $30. It looks like they'll run you $45 with shipping these days, so you'd be better off just getting the auber one.

Thanks everyone. Really helps clarify why people run with Auber.

... now I just need to settle on my system config (and stop vacillating between PIDs/BrewTroller/BCS-460)

I got the C100 off eBay and found the SSR problem but looked at the thread by Walker concerning converting it to SSR. I soldered two wires to the input of the relay and got the SSR output. I did have a dispute with the seller and ended getting the controller for $8. The downloaded manuals in English are pretty good and I think this will be a decent controller. It does not versatile like a more expensive controller and you need to like hacking to use this on SSR but you will never beat the price

My C100 came with a decent instruction manual and has an ssr output. I havn't tried to wire it up yet but the instructions show which terminals to use. I will be controlling my boil with a pwm, and controlling my mash temps with the pid in a single vessel biab system with continual recirculation during the mash.
I think a lot of the people on ebay selling this stuff knows verry little about it, and the reason why they all have the same description is because they are hooked up with the same company that sells it. Probably all they have is a computer and the products are shipped from a warehouse somewhere. I asked one seller about combined shipping and he said no because they were shipped from the warehouse.
I hope I can make this thing work, it will be a cheap controll panel.

edit after further study of the instructions I dont have an ssr relay and my wireing diagram dosn't match the one on the rex website.

Back