Kegerator too cold??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
So just got my fridge that I will be converting to a kegerator soon and I have the temp controller turned almost to the off position and my thermometer is reading about 36F. I'm worried about the temp dropping too low and freezing my lines and also about not being able to o much warmer to serve certain styles at temp. I know I can always let the beer sit for a few min. To warm in the glass, but it's not ideal. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Is it the stock thermostat in the fridge or are you using an external one?

This is pretty much what I was wondering. The stock thermostat on my Danby kegerator sucks the big one. If I set it at 40 it would usually drop to 36 or go up to 42-43. I didn't mind the warmer end, but I don't like ice cold beer unless it's pilsner.

Get an external thermostat and you'll be much happier.

By the way...beer doesn't freeze until 28F I believe. The water probably seperates and freezes at 32 though. 36 isn't going to freeze it, but I understand where you're coming from wanting a warmer beer.

This is pretty much what I was wondering. The stock thermostat on my Danby kegerator sucks the big one. If I set it at 40 it would usually drop to 36 or go up to 42-43. I didn't mind the warmer end, but I don't like ice cold beer unless it's pilsner.

By the way...beer doesn't freeze until 28F I believe. The water probably seperates and freezes at 32 though. 36 isn't going to freeze it, but I understand where you're coming from wanting a warmer beer.

The commercial Vissani kegerator that I bought has been very good in that regard . I had to adjust a little screw on the thermostat to get it to go lower but it now holds a steady 40°

Yeah it's the stock thermostat and on the lowest setting it's still too cold. Any recommendations on external thermostats? I'm kind short on money at the moment. Also is it just a straight hookup, meaning do I disconnect the existing control knob and connect those wires to the external thermostat??

You can go with a ranco/Johnson/Love. These are teh most popular around here. THere are other options of course.

Basically you need the following
Needs to be in the temp range you're looking for
Needs to be powered by 110-120VAC
Needs to be able to hand 16 or more Amps at 110-120VAC on the output.

Analog is cheaper, Digital is easier to set to a certain Degree.

It also depends on where you're reading your temp. The walls with coils in them will be colder than beer would be. You can put a bottle of water in there overnight then check the temp of the liquid.

It also depends on where you're reading your temp. The walls with coils in them will be colder than beer would be. You can put a bottle of water in there overnight then check the temp of the liquid.

Yep did that and that's where my temp is sitting, it's a mini frige with a freezer that I removed.

Yeah, my parents remodeled their back yard and installed 2 outdoor kegerators. The things cost $2500 a piece just because they are rated for "outdoors". The tempurature control BLOWS on them. They have to be continually adjusted. You think for $2500 they would have a way to set it to a specific temperature and just leave it

Is this how most of them connect? How does it adjust the internal temp through a power cord???

You set your freezer or fridge to it's coldest setting. The temperature controller is then set for a specific temperature, and has a sensor that goes inside the freezer. The controller then turns on and off power to the freezer to maintain the set temperature.

You set your freezer or fridge to it's coldest setting. The temperature controller is then set for a specific temperature, and has a sensor that goes inside the freezer. The controller then turns on and off power to the freezer to maintain the set temperature.

I see, any stats as far as life out of a fridge with this method? Does it kick on everytime it increases 1 degree or is it variable?

depends on your controller. I set my ferm fridge to kick in every degree change and I attach the probe to the side of my carboy insulated with TP. so the fermometer always reads the temp I set my controller to.

some controllers dont allow youto change how often it kicks in. I have a Ranco and I can set temp and differential also. it's pretty awesome.

as far as freezer life, my keezer I would imagine would last longer since the compressor is on less than half the time it would be on otherwise.

http://www.climatedoctors.com/items/item.aspx?itemid=429705

will this work ok? any instructions on wiring? How easy it to wire this thing?

This controller will work as long as your fridge or freezer isn't rated for over 15 Amps. It should not be, but check the label to be sure. It's a very common one used on this board for kegerators and fermentation fridges. You can buy them pre-wired for a little more money and just plug the power cord into the wall, and the fridge into the other cord coming off it. Then set your temp. The controller will apply the 120 as needed to turn your fridge on and off. Set your fridge to max cool.

You can also check and see if there is a way to adjust the temperature range of the thermostat. There could be an adjustment screw and you may be able to set it to raise the temperature.

The commercial Vissani kegerator that I bought has been very good in that regard . I had to adjust a little screw on the thermostat to get it to go lower but it now holds a steady 40°

Where did you find that screw? I have the same kegerator and the coldest setting only holds at about 55. I took the box off of the thermostat and didn't see anything useful.

I'd like to adjust it rather than buy a thermostat control

Where did you find that screw? I have the same kegerator and the coldest setting only holds at about 55. I took the box off of the thermostat and didn't see anything useful.

On the Vissani MCKC490S, from the Customer Service Manual, to make it cooler. I have inserted some comments for making it warmer. First unplug the unit and remove the thermostat housing.

"On the side opposite the wire connections, there is a small Philips head screw, most likely with some red stuff on it. Give this screw 1/2 turn Counter-Clockwise [to make cooler; to maker warmer, turn Clockwise]. Reassemble the thermostat and plug the unit back in, then turn the thermostat to the highest setting [to make colder; to make warmer, set it to the lowest]. Wait about an hour and turn the unit down [up] a bit, to about 4 0r 5 on the control dial."

Then let it sit for a couple of hours, check temperature, and repeat as necessary until you have it dialed in.

just like jeffmeh said . You have to pull the dial knob off the thermostat and pull the stat out of the plastic holder then you will be able to adjust the temp screw. I really like the unit so does SWMBO she didn't like the converted chest freezer because it wasn't completly finished as I seem to never finish anyt....

Back