Show us your Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, maybe it's not the maple but the poly/stain product. I don't know.

I did use a pre-stain conditioner first, and that made things much worse than they would have been had I just stained it. It pretty much sealed the maple, and the poly/stain just laid on top. Ah well, it ended up fine. I was cursing at it quite a bit as I was putting it on though.

I finally finish my kegging setup and thought I ought to show the guys who inspired me. Obviously the main inspiration came from Jester, thanks man.

Anyway...

I scored a super old chest freezer from the in-laws (still works like a charm).
The only problem was that the compressor took up about 200mm from the whole bottom, no step. So I decided to put a collar on to make it high enough, which meant in the end I could fit 4 kegs instead of just 2.
I wanted to have the setup in the house and according to SWMBO it had to look good. So i decided on going for the coffin style setup.

Here she is, i'm filling a keg today and will put her to use over the weekend.

3819109567_d542676dba.jpg

Expansion for 2 more taps, when funds become available

3819109899_10d4e71c5e.jpg

I haven't decided to spay paint the bottom of the freezer, or make a frame and cover with wood.

3819110285_3980c6f2a2.jpg

Insulated the coffin, you can also see the collar

3819110645_4fd6a0d447.jpg

The 2 holes are for sucking cold air up(fan from underneath), and the other for letting it circulate/hoses

Cheers,

Budron

Yeah, I'm actually Australian. Though I lived and worked in Canada for about 12 months. It's just one of the things I collected.

Kegerator is finally in "finished" condition. I thought I'd share the results.

IMGP0649.JPG

IMGP0655.JPG

Turns out those labels just float off the bottles when you soak them in oxyclean. Who knew?

IMGP0652.JPG

I glue a magnet to the back of used bottlecaps. Easy to do in batches and I don't have to flow epoxy over the whole door. Eventually, there won't be any white space left and I'll have to start getting rid of my least favorites.

IMGP0659.JPG

6 cornys fit in this bad boy. A 1/6bbl keg fits too. I tried a tall 1/4bbl once, but I can only manage 5 when that one is in there.

IMGP0658.JPG

All of the taps come out where the butter tray used to be. You can't really see it, but I have a wood backing strip there so tightening the shank nuts won't break the plastic.

Huh, huh. I said shank nuts.

I'm finally ready to show my kegerator. I built it myself over about 8 months as I needed extra taps.
kegvert.jpg

taps.jpg

innards.jpg

And just for context here is the bar it's behind.
front.jpg

That all sits under my top deck with a tin beach shack roof suspended from above.
shack.jpg

Here is the top deck where I watch the sun set.
topdeck.jpg

Kegerator price break down
(not including hoses)

Fridge - Free
Six corney kegs - $50
Four faucets and shanks and Co2 splitter- $80
20# Co2 tank - $20
Mirror - Free
Tap handles - $30
Keg connectors - $40
Total - $220

Here is my kegerator. It has been a work in progress over the past 2 months. I just got my kegging setup and only have 1 faucet right now. Hopefully over the next couple months I will get some new kegs and faucets...

photogja.jpg

Finally I got the nerve up to drill through the back of the fridge to put my C02 tank outside the unit so now i have room for a 5th keg. I have 3 beers on tap now and the sparkling crab apple. Wifey still wont let me drill through the front for taps though, I dont know why not as its a spare that will never go upstairs as its got a few dings in it and why we got it so cheap. I had to drill 2 holes as I have two different pressures and didnt want to spend more money on reworking the system as i have both regulators attached to my tank.
Picture003-2.jpg

Picture002-2.jpg

Picture001-5.jpg

They are really good taps (with flow control), and a nice foaming action if you push rather than pull on them. Really works well for stouts!

If you search on the UK ebay for Normannumpa, he is the main guy over here, and where I got my taps from.

Behold:
BeerFRIDGE the Second.

DSCF0087.JPG

Will hold 4 cornies with a 5 pound tank internally.

The little BeerFRIDGE that could has been replaced. It will be fitted with a temperature control and used as a fermentation chamber/ lagerator.

guess i'll finally toss a pic of mine on here. i still would like to add a collar or towers with some perlicks.. but havent decided which way to go, so i'm just using picnic taps for now

That reminds me. I'm having people over saturday so I have to crawl inside my chest freezer and scrub it. It got dirty in there.

Love the red hoses. Makes it look like you got something special under the hood :D

lol first thing i thought as well when hooked everything up.

fwiw.. its just 2 of th4-corney kegerator kits from midwest. The 2nd bottle and 2nd regulator arent being used right now, but hoping to have a second keezer soon that i can use them in.

Love the red hoses. Makes it look like you got something special under the hood :D

I love how organized it looks in there. Mine is a mess. There are hoses EVERYWHERE! No one can see it though, so my laziness beats down my urge to organize. Why bother? The game is usually on, and there's plenty of homebrew on tap. :mug:

Kicked around the idea of a riser, but didn't care for having the taps that low. (Where little hands can reach.) I saw the one in this thread with a tower, but it had a box built off to the side so that the lid would open without the tower hitting the wall. It made me think of putting it on top, but hinging it to the side.

Craigslist SCORE $25
Kegerator011.jpg

Still may play with the trim work, but it's functional.
Kegerator05.jpg

Tower hinged to side.
Kegerator06.jpg

Three 5 gal , one 3 gal corny and a 10lbs CO2 will fit inside.
Kegerator02.jpg

Genius! That's the only reason I don't like the towers is because they are in the damn way.

I'm still doing the collar tho. No little hands to worry about at my place, except the occasional female ones. :D

That is a very cool solution, but what kid of stress is the putting on your lines there? Seems like it's pulling them quite a bit.
The lines are very flexible even when cold, so I don't think it will be a problem. Also, this morning I put a stop on the back so that when the tower hinges over it will not go past horizontal like the way it shows in the second picture. This keeps the lines from pulling out as far and also prevents the faucets from hitting the side of the freezer.

A question for those who have digital controllers. The default setting for the temperature differential on this Johnson is 5 degrees. Should I cut that back, or is that fine to prevent the compressor from cycling too often?

I'd set for 3 degrees. That's what I run my freezer at for fermenting and it rarely runs. Running it a refridgeration temps will be much easier on it then freezing so the compressor will probably run less.

Mike

I've got mine set for 1 degree but it's in the garage and it gets darn hot out there. I Still need to install a fan to circulate the air which I know will definately help.

A question for those who have digital controllers. The default setting for the temperature differential on this Johnson is 5 degrees. Should I cut that back, or is that fine to prevent the compressor from cycling too often?

I set my Ranco to 5, 38° to 42°F. I don't believe it cycles too much...

Getting back on topic . . . Show us your Kegerator
This mine pretty much done.

Although I did order Perlick's today. :D
Thanks Ed!
He's got the 525ss, but they're not listed yet.

Kegerator05.jpg

Edit:
Updated picture to show the Perlick's

it's a work in progress. i need to remove this load-bearing adhesive on the front door and slap my label on it. also a driptray would be nice.

kegrr.jpg

I like the sticker because it reminds me of how cherry a condition I got the fridge in. It used to serve water at the mall and I payed like 30% retail price for it when the owner sold it to me. It was good. You're right though, it needs to go.

Guild included for scale ;)

Also a National Geographic, my brew log, and some brandy ofc. I need to brew more now because it's empty! Some friends and myself mostly finished off one corny in two weeks.

Back