He Drops back, he asks, he SCORES!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
So today while reading the latest BYO that i picked up on Herms and Rims systems i thought to myself "self, you need that. You dont want it, you need it, got to have it" So being the industrius fellow that i am i call a buddy who works at a bar and say hey if you come across some old kegs let me know i need them so i can cut out the tops and make a HLT and a Mash tun. He says ok he will check, so then i think about my brother in-law who is in a frat, he might know about a rouge keg out there. He says well i know where two are, and they are in my basement and you can have them for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sweet, now i must search the forums on removing the top of the keg.....:rockin:

Reverend

now i must search the forums on removing the top of the keg

Just dust off the ol' plasma cutter. You do have a plasma cutter, don't you? All the cool kids do. You want to be a cool kid, right?

Yeah, seems like angle grinders and sawz all's are the tools of choice for the plasma cutterless amongst us. Either way you'll probably want to buff up the edges afterwards to prevent severe lacerations.

Another tip, I bought mine from a guy who already had the top cut out and the lid from my turkey fryer pot serendipitously fit in the keg perfectly. I would recommend sizing the hole to fit a lid you have lying around.

Thanks for the tips. I dont have a plasma cutter but a guy i know does and he tells me about his set up for making jerky, summer sausage and other smoked meats and i tell him about my hobby that takes a lot of equipment and he agreed to cut the tops out for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1:ban:

So the trick is to cut the holes that match lids i already have lying around. Got it, thanks guys

Reverend

Back