plugging a hole in MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

android

Reaction score
when i built my cooler MLT, i was all gung ho about slapping as much hardware as possible into it and now regret putting a sight glass on. when i was taking it apart today to clean, i'm certain I discovered a new species of something living within the brass nipple and elbow.

i figure the best way to plug it is with an appropriately sized stopper, but i'm nervous about knocking it out when i stir the mash... would it be OK to epoxy it in or something? i'm sure epoxy isn't the best thing to use, does anyone have any ideas on how to plug that hole up (aside from getting a new cooler)?

You can get a gum stopper in there... trust me, you wont knock it out. I have stoppers that hold my thermometers in and my sight glasses and have NEVER knocked them out.

If i'm correct this sounds like a coupling welded thru your keg.
If so I would install a stainless plug with teflon on the plug on the inside of the keg and forget about it. later on it might come in handy again save it for a future use if needed.

no, sorry, it's an igloo cooler with a weldless fitting. i think i'll try the gum stopper first and if that doesn't work, i'll reinstall the nipple and cap it. thanks.

no, sorry, it's an igloo cooler with a weldless fitting. i think i'll try the gum stopper first and if that doesn't work, i'll reinstall the nipple and cap it. thanks.

My gum stoppers have been installed for my thermometer and sight glass... the thermometer ones have been in for about 2 years. Never a problem. Install them from the INside so that the pressure in the vessel actually pushes them INto the hole. IMHO the weldess fittings for coolers are a waste of money when a gum stopper will do the job for less than $1.

yeah, i guess i'm just being paranoid. i'll go with the gum stopper until experience tells me differently. thanks for the responses.

yeah, i guess i'm just being paranoid. i'll go with the gum stopper until experience tells me differently. thanks for the responses.

Plenty of ppl have taken my advice, never heard of one coming out. I hit mine plenty hard when I am stirring my mash, and it has never even leaked. You will be amazed at the gripping power of the gum stopper!

I am not into grain brewing, Yet... But isn't the primary reason for using an igloo cooler expense? Why take the chance of further contamination and leakage. Why not scrap the cooler for a new one? JMHO

I am not into grain brewing, Yet... But isn't the primary reason for using an igloo cooler expense? Why take the chance of further contamination and leakage. Why not scrap the cooler for a new one? JMHO

Well, if it is preboil, and the infected fitting is removed... I dont see the need to replace the cooler. I also dont see where it will leak... people REALLY underestimate the power of gum stoppers.

Latest posts

Back