Apfelwien brewing - thinking of adding blueberries to next batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just started a batch of Apfelwein. I made it exactly per recipe except I used a primary bucket fermenter. I started it about two weeks ago and the bubbling has finally ceased. I used Motts apple juice from Walmart at $3.88 a gallon. All told, about $23. for the batch. I'll move it to a seconday in a couple weeks and then bulk age it.

I was thinking af starting another batch with blueberries in it. Has anyone done this? If so, can you give a taste report?

I am now drinking a blueberry/apple mead I made a few months ago and it tastes great. I'm afraid it will be gone before it's aged properly! I used 10 lbs of clover honey, 2 gallons of apple juice, 2 lbs bluberries and hops (6 gal batch). Beautiful color and great taste! I love it! I'm thinking the blueberries would add a nice color and taste to the Apfelwein as well.

Cheers
Terry

CORRECTION!
I just went and checked. I actually started it 10 days ago and it's still bubbling. Still about one bubble every 30 seconds. It no longer smells....

Terry

I am interested in how it would turn out. I love blueberries, I am making my second blueberry Kolsch right now. I have a blueberry oatmeal honey stout on tap right now. I have used both frozen and fresh blueberries, I will stick with the frozen from here out. Fresh is great, but it left a tang in my stout, which wasnt bad but nothing like the sweet flavor that was in the kolsch with the frozen "Dole" berries.

I haven't made Apfelwien yet but plan to start a batch pretty soon. I saw another post that discussed adding Cranberry juice-substituting a gallon of Cranberry juice for a gallon of the Apple juice. I have wondered myself about adding a fruit puree like you can buy in the three-pound cans. Its seem like the apple juice would lend itself very well with other fruits.

Does anyone have any guidance on this?

I made a 5 gallon batch that follows tusch's pretty closely. and it turned out

so good. I used frozen wild blueberries. they are very small but have a

really nice flavor. I only used 6 pounds on a 5 gallon batch, and there is a

very strong blueberry taste. I back sweetened mine. the primary ferment is

pretty violent so make sure you do it in a bucket not a carboy

Back