heads up about Honey Moon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polarbearbrewing

Reaction score
just thought i'd let you guys know that I just had to send back several cases of Blue Moon's summer ale that i could not sell because there was a substantial amount of sediment in the bottles. as homebrewers, i know we dont worry about sediment and you could easily let it settle and pour into a glass, but that doesnt work for typical customers....i can just see someone yelling at me because they were drinking out of the bottle, got a mouthful of yeast and puked :p

anyways keep an eye out if you guys purchase any of this stuff

Is that to say you have had customers come back and return it because of the sediment? An educated beer drinker would never do this. Perhaps the problem is that people don't know what to expect, and some beer education prior to the purchase might solve this. I don't think there is a problem with the brew, just the consumer's expectation.

If we had to remove all beers from the shelves that had sediment in the bottom I would cry -- 90% of what I drink wouldn't be available anymore!

:D:D:D

well I think you did the right thing because I think it's garbage beer. Regular Blue Moon is perfectly fine, I had one last night, but Coors doing the 'Moon seasonals IMHO is retarded...I mean it's only a matter of time before they totally **** it all up...look at Killians....

/rant

I had one of these and was surprised that it was pretty good. As far as the sediment goes... each bottle contains orange peel... or parts of orange peel. I wonder if this is what your customer(s) had trouble with.

no one returned it...i hadnt placed it on the shelves. because blue moon is a filtered beer, you cannot sell a six pack of it with a 1/4" of sediment in it. It was definitely more substantial than just orange peel i.e. yeast/trub so my father and I get along really well with our distributors so they had no problem taking them back and replacing them but no doubt there are more cases floating around like this.

im guessing they had some sort of malfunction with their filtering setup

by the way, ive had this beer before as well and was pleasantly suprised

Well that's rather bizarre. Now I understand why you returned it. Surely they do quality control and must have realized that their filtration wasn't operating. Very strange.

Regardless, I wonder if it actually hurt the beer? The answer is irrelevant to your post, but it intrigues me nevertheless. :mug:

Back