How many have brewed Jamil's recipes? (Nice...Red Rocket)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sort of a Jamil fan, listened to all the podcasts and bought the book. Fresh Evil Twin reminds me why I homebrew in the first place. That beer is awesome! Black Butte Porter Clone from CYBI is outstanding, Ordinary Bitter, American Brown is excellent, Dry stout, Mild, Robust Porter all great beers.

I did his Ordinary Bitter. I don't know if I have accurately captured it, though. It's not bad, but it's nothing special, either.

I loved the OB. His advice about the sparing use of special roast is spot on.

However, I did his Belgian Golden Strong and it was ASS-LIKE. I did use a different yeast (WLP500 instead of the WLP Strong-whatever) so maybe it was me to blame. Dumped it after 9 months.

I've made variations on that recipe 8 times now, varying from 1.070 to 1.080 with the following Wyeast varieties - 1388 (twice), 3787 (twice), 1762, 3739, 1214, 3655. It is SWMBO's favorite beer, so I make sure the Golden Strong pipeline is full :mug:

The key things I've learned:
1 - Make sure you mash at 149F, or a decoction at 143/158F, to get appropriate attenuation.
2 - Make a 3L starter
3 - Give it at least 2-3 months aging to round out the flavor
4 - Use high quality, good flavored Pils malt. I don't use the domestic Pils anymore, just German or Belgian.
5 - Ramp the temperature from 65F to mid 70's over the first week of fermentation.
6 - If you use the Duvel yeast 1388 or WLP570, give it plenty of time to finish fermenting at ~80F. This can take weeks.

I know this is an old thread but I cant find an extract recipe for Red Rocket anywhere and all the links are no longer available.

Thanks,

I know this is an old thread but I cant find an extract recipe for Red Rocket anywhere and all the links are no longer available.

Thanks,

I also brew almost exclusively out of the BCS book. I am not one of those guys looking at going pro and I only enter 1 or 2 competitions a year. So I am not overly interested in a lot of my own recipe formulation. I was looking for a list of solid recipes across the range of styles. This book definitely fits the bill.

Argggh.... Zombies.....

I really really like this recipe. So much that I've brewed variations of it 6 times. I made an accidental imperial version of it one time (new mash tun gave me way better efficiency than I expected). I've made it with 2-row and MO, and definitely prefer the version with MO - it's "richer", the 2-row version lacked a certain something.

I've never actually had a Red Rocket, but Founder's Red Rye is very similar as well.

I just took a silver medal with a variation on this as a brown ale - it started out as a blend of 75% of a more session-y version Jamil's Amber (1.048 OG) and 25% Foreign Extra stout (1.064 OG), which one of my friends declared the best thing he'd ever had. So I designed a recipe based on those parameters:

4 gallon batch

6.5lb Crisp MO
.5lb Crystal 40
.25lb Crystal 150
2oz Carabrown
3.5oz Chocolate mixed with Dehusked Carafa II (using up some dribs and drabs)
4oz roast barley 300L
1lb flaked barley

.35oz Magnum@60
.52oz Chinook @10,0
.55oz Cascade @10,0
.54oz Citra at 10,0

15 minute hopstand at flameout before chilling.

1.058 OG, 1.012 FG. US-05 as the yeast.

I think I would have taken a gold if I had dry-hopped it, the judges thought it wasn't hoppy enough. :D

Thanks,

Download the Jamil Show "Amber Ale" episode from the Brewing Network. He gives the recipes and brewing suggestions on that show.

It does taste just like red rocket

I searched on their website and could not find this particular show. Was hoping someone had the recipe since this seems to be a very popular brew.

Oh. I just use iTunes and pocketcasts. It's easy to find on both of those.

Thank you very much for this. If I need 11oz of Munich LME what is the best way to buy this? My LHBS and most websites sell no less than 3lbs.

You could always just do a mini-mash of the munich and the other specialty malts. It's basically the same as steeping grains, just need to control the temperature a little more tightly (keep it around 150ish for half an hour), then rinse the grain bag with 170-degree water (sparging).

I just tapped my keg of the American IPA. I absolutely love the aroma but feel it's lacking in buttering hops. My wife says it's the best I've ever brewed, but was three pints in when she made the declaration!

I plan on brewing Janet's brown ale this weekend and am looking forward to the results based on comments here.

This last winter I brewed the Black Butte Porter from the podcast and loved it until I did a side by side with the real thing. It seemed to be lacking some coffee flavors and a bit of creaminess. Not a bad brew by any stretch, but not what I'd consider a 'clone'.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back