Corn?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This was the first time I have brewed using flaked corn. A few questions came up. In the mash there were dough balls like I have never seen, Is this normal? The mash stuck once, is this typical using corn? I have never had the mush out (or sparge) stick before.

On the upshot I hit my estimated OG on the number! 1st time ever.

Cheers!!! :mug:

I know using corn is kind of frowned upon here. I was trying to make a Bass Ale clone. Really just looking for confirmation of what I think I know.

I don't think corn is frowned about- it's used in several styles. I didn't answer just because I didn't know the answer! I've used flaked corn in only one brew and it worked fine. My cream ale uses corn and I didn't notice any doughballs or anything else unusual.

huummm... I had soft ball sized dough balls at mash in... Honestly is have always stirred my cracked grains prior to mash in. I didn't do that this go around and this may have been my issue. Thanks Lorena !!!

I mix my flaked corn into my grain before I dough in. It can give a sticky grist all right. I add my grain bill to my heated water. Did you add water to the grist?
That would explain the big dough balls.

OK then. I add my grist to the water a cup at a time while stirring it. I never get dough balls with any of my mashes. I don't stir to get foam ( want to avoid HSA, lol)

I've only used corn once, and that was at about 10%.

That said, I didn't experince any doughballs and I had rye in there too. Used rice hulls too so lauter/sparge went well.

Wow I have never added the grist 1 cup at the time. I have always just poured it in... I considered using rice hulls if I want to make this recipe again.

I take my time mashing in. It's not a race. I spread the grist over the top of my strike water and stir it in. I don't lose any temperture that I don't calculate for by having the water temp a bit over.

Corn does tend to clump, so I mix my grains well before adding them to the tun. I've gone as high as 20% without getting stuck.

Back