Obama is a homebrewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What if the recipe turns out to be mediocre at best? I'm sure it's nothing too far from what recipes we already have access to...

This was posted before? Sorry. Search must have been haywire when I did it. Anyways, even if its a mediocre brew I plan on brewing it so that I can hand some out to friends and say this is the exact recipe served to the President.

I doubt Obama had anything to do with the actual brewing process. He's so busy campaigning this year he's barely taken time off to do silly things like golf or run the country..

We know. There was a thread by the guy that actually created the petition on Saturday, and another who did ANOTHER thread about it within an hour.

At least one of them got locked by the mods because of negativity....

And about 30 threads about Obama Brewing. And at least two threads complaining about all the threads about Obama and brewing....

Where is the petition to sign calling for investigation of alcoholic beverage being transported across state lines within Federal Property.

This is an outrage! Federal law says I can't mail a beer using USPS but he's rumrunning his hooch all over the nation!

Well I for one like the idea of homebrew in the White House. I am not an Obama fan, but he went up a notch in my book for this.

Also, if the recipe gets released, it'll be fun to see how it gets politicized.

"Obama uses imported GERMAN honey malt in presidential brew instead of supporting American maltsters"
"White House Honey Ale...does not contain honey! Another lie from the left!!"
"Obama pandering to the Midwest vote by using cultured Bell's yeast"
"Part of the 1% elite; Obama uses exclusive, rare proprietary hops in WH brew"

Like Homer said, I really could care less to see/have or brew what Obama is brewing. Politics aside, it just doesn't interest me. I bet it was made from an intern who pulled the kit off a shelf.

The White House has an online petition website, that requires 25,000 signatures for them to take some action on it. Someone (someone on this forum?) has created a petition to release the recipe of the White House's homebrew: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/release-recipe-honey-ale-home-brewed-white-house/XkpkYwc0

I figured the HBT crowd could help them out a bit. On a similar note, I'd like to see someone petition to relieve nanobrewerys of all the restrictions that make opening one prohibitively expensive.

...We're a country that has had brewers for longer than we've been a country.

I'm pretty sure that could be said for almost any western civilization in which barley is grown. I would love to sign the petition but I got this hang-up on creating a whitehouse.gov profile, I'm sure I'm already on a list somewhere due to my libertarian leanings, no need to be on one more.

Wouldn't everyone want to know the recipe didn't originate from say...Kenya:D

Political leanings aside...I think it is just cool.

It's amazing to me with government math that they get the numbers to be right for brewing a batch of beer. I'd think the OG would be all over the board, revised the next week, then corrected once they subsidized with some corn sugar.

I heard they had an infected batch once, but found out it was Bush's fault so it didn't count (probably going too far but I had too)

Not signing anything, it will end up creating more rules, laws, regulations, taxations and control.

I'd sign, but this seems a bit silly. I doubt it'll get released.

And Obama obviously didn't brew the thing, he hired someone to do it. I wouldn't be surprised if NONE of the process ever took place on the White House grounds other than the delivery of the beer to the WH.

And even then, it's private information that Obama doesn't have to release. The filing of a FOI Act request is even sillier. If he was brewing beer on our tax dollars, someone would've made a big deal of it.

Well done OP, story has hit front page on Foxnews.com this morning!

President's Secret Stash
Brewing a Federal Case
CfakepathWHITEHOUSEBEER_20120822_120500.jpg

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/08/22/brewers-want-obama-beer-recipe/

If you really wanna know...

5-7 pounds of lies (OG of 1.038 - 1.053)
5 gallons of greed
1-2 ounces of thievery (for a nice bitter taste)
1 packet of special interests
3/4 cup of capitalism for priming

If you really wanna know...

5-7 pounds of lies (OG of 1.038 - 1.053)
5 gallons of greed
1-2 ounces of thievery (for a nice bitter taste)
1 packet of special interests
3/4 cup of capitalism for priming

And nicely skunked to leave a bad taste in your mouth (like all politics...)

Obama doesn't brew beer......

Obama drinks beer.....

Sorry to kill your homebrew hard-on over this, but those are the facts kiddies.

I don't know why there are so many haters...

FACT: Homebrew was/is being produced in the White House at the President's request.
FACT: Homebrew was/is being consumed by the standing President
FACT: Homebrewing is being promoted by the standing President

In almost everything a president does he sets ideas in motion which is followed by a lot of hard work by staffers. How is this any different? Frankly, I don't care if it was the White House groundskeeper using a Mr. Beer kit...the above 3 facts make it VERY cool, and are a tremendously good thing for our hobby. Obama *could* have picked to focus on candy making...he'd be out promoting homemade chocolates... Not nearly as good for us!

Simply put I DON'T CARE! Not because I am not interested but because it could be the greatest beer of all time and such a large percentage of people would hate it simply because of who brewed it or commissioned it to be brewed( whichever is the reality of it).
Also I am one who believes that there are parts of the presidents life that need to be kept to the president, this is one of those things. I don't want to know everything about the president, does he/she like good beer is all I need to know on the subject of beer. If that beer is a style I don't like I won't hold it against him/her, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Maybe it’s a secret because of foreign ingredients. What if they had the temerity to use Saaz or Munich or Nottingham?

It is silly season.

I read that he had 10 gallons for the Superbowl with 200 guests. So even with a White House invitation, it’s only a 50/50 shot of getting one. Pretty much zero chance of getting two.

Whew! Glad you started a new thread on this. There hadn't been a new thread on this in like 2-3 hours and I thought I was going to have to start one. I'll check back in a couple of hours, and if there isn't a new thread by then, maybe I'll start one then.

Wouldn't it be fun to find the "Honey Ale" is actually just a BeeCave House clone? :mug:

I personally wouldn't be surprised...

Not signing anything, it will end up creating more rules, laws, regulations, taxations and control.

Not really sure why you would draw this conclusion. The increased profile of beer has been met with great support in my state (Virginia). I just don't see the gov caring a wit about homebrewing, and when it comes to craft, anything that raises the public profile is a good thing. States are realizing the benefits that breweries bring (revenue, jobs, prestige). Increased awareness will make the general public angrier when BMC tries to mess with things, too.

From personal experience, I wrote our governor with some suggestions. A lot of other brewers and state congressman got involved, too. A few months later, some very great laws were passed in Virginia. Now, I'm a few months from opening my own nano and commercial hops operation at age 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back