Allergic to yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nlpavalko

Reaction score
So, I've gotten my first batch in the fermenter and it's bubbling away.

I have noticed a sweet flowery and fruity smell from the bloww-off valve. I assume that is the yeast munching away?

I have also been congested and sneezing quite a bit. Could that be from the yeast and fermentation?

Has anyone run across this?

never heard of it, but anything is possible. it could also be that this year is warmer than normal, and plants are already waking up, causing pollen early

If its the beer the. You are much more likely sensitive to volatile chemicals being expelled furring fermentation.

I'd blame the weather. I am assuming Indiana is like Illinois and it has recently been going warm/cold/warm/cold, which always gives me problems.

The sweet flowery smell is likely the hop aromas being carried out by the CO2.
As far as yeast allergies, have you had issues before when drinking wine, beer, or eating cheese? Could be you're just catching a cold.

As an example of something that could cause your symptoms and is produced during fermentation:

http://www.ehow.com/about_6651192_sulfide-allergies.html

You may just have a cold, but it would be interesting to know if your symptoms subside after fermentation wraps up. Dihydrogen Sulfide is commonly produced durring fermentation and is a very volatile gas. If you fermentor is near your bedroom or another room you spend a lot of time in and you are sensitive to Sulphur, you could easily be experiencing symptoms as a result. Of course, there are other chemicals produced durring the beer making process that could also cause allergies and it could just be pollen, dust or your neighbor's filthy kids spreading their viruses.

I assume you are brewing with extract but one thing that gets me sneezing for hours is the dust from various grains used in brewing. Crushing grains is the kiss of death for me if I'm not wearing a face mask! Not sure if DME or LME will cause the same reaction in some people. Something to consider anyways...

Allergies are variable and I'm sure people can be allergic to yeast.

I've heard that yeast can build up in your system over time and can cause health issues.

OP - You cannot have yeast escaping the airlock, so that would not be a source of a "yeast alleregen".

Regarding yeast allergies in general, the medical community does not generally accept that such a thing exists, although some doctors believe it does.

Regarding ASCA - this does not actually mean the patient is allergic to yeast, it is a diagnostic test for other serious diseases.

Back