Shipping Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frothdaddy

Reaction score
What's the story with shipping bottles of my brew to friends/family in another state so they can try it? Will any shippers do this? Are there any legal problems? I thought that as long as it wasn't for sale, there wasn't a problem, but I've read some stuff that would suggest otherwise.

Use UPS. If they ask what is in there, tell them yeast samples. You are good to go. Pack them very carefully.

frothdaddy said:
What's the story with shipping bottles of my brew to friends/family in another state so they can try it? Will any shippers do this? Are there any legal problems? I thought that as long as it wasn't for sale, there wasn't a problem, but I've read some stuff that would suggest otherwise.

I've shipped beer all over the country using fedex.. Fedex never ever asks whats in there.. And if you open an online account with them you save 10% too...

Yeah, just avoid USPS. The first thing they ask is, "is there anything liquid, fragile, or perishable inside?" FAIL! :cross:

Timely thread, I want to ship some to my father in Okinawa and my father in law in New Jeresy. I'm thinking Fedex as I've seen the boxes that come from UPS. Lots of bubble wrap and ghost poop, mark it fragile....

I've used UPS. I took a Sam Adams 12 pack, filled it with bottles, and packed newspaper in between so the bottles wouldn't clank together. I then taped that up and tossed it in a box full of the popcorn. Arrived safe and sound.

Legally, only a licensed distributor may ship alcoholic beverages. If a carrier knows its an alcoholic beverage, it will not move 1ft farther. Realistically, there's nothing illegal about shipping active yeast cultures...

If you pay/print labels at home then drop off at Office Depot or something they don't even ask...or they haven't ask me yet.

mcsewnab said:
I told UPS it was homemade root beer. They didn't seem to care.

Legally they care. Unofficially, they could care less unless it's something flammable like a bottle of liquor.

Back