Perle Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildGingerBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I found a package of Perle hop pellets in my fridge today while brewing. There are about 1.5 oz in the package, it started as a 2 oz package. I know that at my LHBS, where I bought these, they haven't sold 2 oz packages in about 2 years, back during the hop shortage everything went to 1 oz. Do you think these hops are still good? I would like to find a use for them if so, if not I guess it's time to trash them!

I would say that if they are in the fridge, and just closed with a rubber band or twisty tie that they aren't worth saving any more.

If they have been sealed (like with a food-saver) and in the freezer, they'd be perfectly fine to use. Perle is a pretty low AAU hop, but has a very good reputation for "keeping" it's strength if well taken care of. According to Beersmith, the HSI (hops stability index) is good for Perle, losing 15% of its % alpha in 6 months.

Ive asked the same question and it was suggested to me to drop a couple pellets in a little hot water to make a tea and give it a taste.

They smell like hops. They were originally a 7.7 AA and they are in what I would call a mini zip lock baggie. So I think they have been sealed pretty good. Also, they cost $1.99 so it's really not that big a deal. I guess the next time I feel the need to just make up a recipe, I could just throw them in and be done with it. The tea idea is interesting though, I may try that just beacause!

Ok...quick update on my really old hops. I'm brewing Grateful Dead Guy Ale today and it calls for 1.5 oz of Perle. So I figured, since I had to buy 2 oz anyway, I would dry hop with the remaing .5 oz, then it hit me! Old Perle!!! So my plan is to dry hop with .5 oz of new 9.3% AA and the 1.5 oz of 7.7% AA. I don't think it will hurt. Like I said they don't smell bad, but they defintely don't smell as fresh as the new ones. I guess we'll know in 6 or 8 weeks!

Back