using pvc piping to run beer lines into wall?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawbrewing

Reaction score
just curious if anyone else has ever tried this, and if my thinking is flawed or not.

i have the magic chef 7.2 freezer, i installed a 2x8 collar on it so it will hold 6 kegs.

what i'm doing here, (bare with me, i have trouble explaining things sometimes) is i'm building a bar in my basement. rather than installing the freezer underneath the bar, the side of the bar is going to be butted right up against a wall, that the opposite side of the drywall is a small closet that is the bottom side of my staircase. i have already fit the freezer in this closet, and the lid opens, so all is good there. i plan on running my beer lines outside of the freezers back side (the side against the wall in the closet) and then fabricating some sort of wall mount on the opposite side of this wall (bar side) that will house six taps, so that you can simply walk up to the wall beside where the bar will be built, and pull a pint from the wall.

here's my question/issue.

what i have planned on doing is cutting a hole in the backside of the collar, and putting a piece of 3" threaded pvc into that hole, with a pvc nut on the outside, and inside of the collar. then running a 90 degree pvc elbow on the outside end of that, and roughly a 2 or 3ft piece of straight pvc up along the wall, and running all my beer lines through that pvc, and out of it, and then into the backside of the shanks, and wrapping the pvc in insulation, and specifically the outlet of the hoses, completely "sealing" the pvc on the outlet, and on the inlet from the collar with the pvc nuts on both sides.

my theory is the cold air from inside the keezer would have nowhere to go, other than inside of that pvc pipe, since it's completely sealed off on both ends.

am i thinking correctly? has anyone ever done this before? or will i have a first pull of warm, foamy beer everytime?

thanks.

brian

I know that there is a bar build thread on here that has exactly what you are looking for, but I'll be damned if I can find it. I'll look some more.

I know that there is a bar build thread on here that has exactly what you are looking for, but I'll be damned if I can find it. I'll look some more.

haha, thanks. i appreciate it!
i searched through a bunch of keezer and bar build threads, and couldn't find anyone who had done this before.

it will be dead space and not cooled at same temp, you will need to circulate cold air into the pvc. you can run a smaller diameter pipe into the 3" pipe near the end and force air down the shaft, this will cause the forced air to returnd back into the other area, and circulate the cold air.

A18106221Q09Model1.jpg

I haven't seen anything like that but I agree with your assessment, as long as it's completely sealed off then it should keep the lines nice and cold.

I would use small pc fans on both ends, pushing and pulling cold air. I think your sealing the outlet end will defeat this idea.

Low upfront cost and if it works you will be happy. I bought a Radio Shack fan and used an old 5v wall transformer to push air up into my tower. Works ok, beer is still warmer at first but not warm & foamy.

I did something similiar to what you are planning. I thing I used 2.5" pvc with pipe insulation arounf my four lines. Getting the lines and insulation to bend in the 90 degree elbow was tight but worked. My run was only about 1 foot out the side and 1 foot up the wall, for me the total length of tubing outside of the keezer was maybe 3 feet. The pints are cold when poured, not sure but your run seems to be close to the same length.

Here is the link to my work in progress build.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/bar-finally-under-construction-100022/

Latest posts

Back