Most unusual beer addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesrm

Reaction score
What was your most unusual addition to beer, something along the lines of fruit, hot sauce, olives, whatever you tossed in the pot or keg. And, how did it turn out? :rockin:

Someone else breweed with blood on here or wanted to...

I remember that thread; I started dry heaving when I read the first post!

I saw the How Stuff Works about Beer on the Discovery channel a few nights ago and Dog Fish Head brewed up Theobroma which uses Aztec cocoa powder and cocoa nibs, honey, chilies, and annatto (fragrant tree seeds).

My very first AG batch--what a fiasco, but best beer I ever made. Flies kept getting in the boiling wort, as well as some falling leaves. SN Oak Fly beer :)

jalepeno peppers in a brew called sparky's hot chocolate.
very hot but quite good when i got to the last bottle 6-8 months later.
(too bad i drank 48 bottles before that!)

I've used matcha green tea powder (as have others).
I read that John Palmer has used mushrooms.
How about seaweed in a gueuze?

Nothing all that unusual. Several batches of spruce beer with the spruce tips picked from trees in the Wenatchee National Forest in Washington state. Every batch has been great.

Guess I'm glad I can tell a spruce from a pine though. Pine beer would not be good.

Fresh crushed black pepper. It was the recipe in Radical Brewing. I may have to brew that one a THIRD time. :rockin:

I think black pepper is my favorite unusual addition - I've done that in several brews now. It's especially tasty (in small quantities) in a wit, but works well with any kind of Belgian, IPA, etc.

Just kicked the keg of my yerba mate' amber. If you've never had yerba mate', its a great South American tea with a somewhat neutral earthy flavor to it. I added 4 oz. of steeped yerba mate to that one, and it turned out great. Pretty subtle mate' flavor, but definitely noticeable on the tail end of a sip.

Just kicked the keg of my yerba mate' amber. If you've never had yerba mate', its a great South American tea with a somewhat neutral earthy flavor to it. I added 4 oz. of steeped yerba mate to that one, and it turned out great. Pretty subtle mate' flavor, but definitely noticeable on the tail end of a sip.

Did you use the smoked yerba mate, or the plain?

I just added beer to some cookies. Does that count?
I made some malt syrup from a few pounds of grain. That stuff is like molasses and has been used in cookies, on pancakes, and in meat marinades. :rockin:

As far as off ingredients, things tried on this board have been Mountain Dew, and I think someone used some bacon...

I will be mashing some amaranth and some kamut in my next two brews. I am not sure what to expect, but I think they should come through.

Sprouted/Roasted Alfalfa sprouts from one of our fields.

The recipe is a work in progress, but it's comparable to an amber ale in everything but taste. The alfalfa has a distinctive feel/aftertaste... and its good for ya =)

Back