chimay EXTRACT recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbrewster

Reaction score
Anyone know of an extract w/specialties recipe with boil times etc. for a Chimay of any type? No mini-mash or all grains please. Thanks guys

Here's the 5 gal Chimay Red recipe I used inspired from Szamatulski's "Clone Brews" book (with my substitutions in brackets):

My OG: 1.064
My FG: 1.018 (supposed to be 1.012-1.015; I left it in the primary for 3 weeks...figured it was close enough)
SRM: 18-19
IBU: 25
Alcohol: ~7%

Steep 150F for 20 minutes in 1 gal water (sparge with 1/2 gal 150F water):
4 oz Belgian Aromatic malt
8 oz Belgian Cara-Munich malt
1 oz chocolate malt

Boil 60 min:
1.25 # M&F light DME [I used 1.5 # light DME]
6.6 # Maris Otter light LME [I used 6# light LME]
1.5 # Belgian clear candi sugar [I used 1# candi sugar, and 1/2 # table sugar]
2 oz Tettnanger hops (~4% AA)

after 45 minutes, add:
0.25 oz Styrian Goldings [I used Kent Goldings since I couldn't find Styrian cheap]
0.25 oz Hallertau Hershbrucker
1 tsp Irish moss

Recommended Yeast:
1st choice, cultures from a bottle of chimary red
2nd choice, Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey Ale
[I had frozen cultures from Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II and used that]

I read in the book "Brew Like a Monk" that those sneaky monks often used several yeasts serially, including adding a different yeast when bottling than when fermenting. So, I figure cultures from the chimay bottle may be bottling yeast, not the fermenting yeast. I did harvest the dregs from a chimay bottle and tossed it in when I racked to the secondary with a little extra sugar (equivalent to bottling sugar amounts...plan to force carb eventually). I plan to use the same strategy with my Westmalle Tripel clone (recipe also inspired from "Clone Brews"). We'll see how they turn out. The primary tasted pretty good.

Belgian-Style Strong Dark Ale

Extract & Specialty Grains
5⅛ Gallons
OG: 1.086 – 1.088
FG: 1.015 – 1.016
SRM: ~34
IBU: 27
ABV: 9.0%

8 oz. Belgian Cara-Munich Malt
6 oz. Belgian Aromatic Malt
4 oz. Belgian Special B Malt
2½ oz. British Chocolate Malt
8¾ lbs. Extra Light DME
1½ lbs. Belgian Dark Candi Sugar
⅓cup Belgian Clear Candi Sugar
½ cup Corn Sugar
½ oz. Yakima Magnum @ 15.4% AA (7.7 HBU) Bittering Hop
½ oz. German Hallertau Hersbrucker Flavor Hop
¼ oz. German Hallertau Hersbrucker Aroma Hop
¼ tsp. Grains of Paradise
1 pkg. Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale or
1 pkg. Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II
1 tsp. Irish Moss

Directions

Heat 1 gallon of water to 155°F. Add:
8 oz. Belgian Cara-Munich Malt
6 oz. Belgian Aromatic Malt
4 oz. Belgian Special B Malt
2½ oz. British Chocolate Malt
Remove pot from heat and steep at 150°F for 30 minutes. Strain the grain water into the brew pot. Sparge the grains with ½ gallon of 150°F water. Bring water to a boil, remove from heat and add:
8¾ lbs. Extra Light DME
1½ lbs. Belgian Dark Candi Sugar
½ oz. Yakima Magnum @ 15.4% AA (7.7 HBU) Bittering Hop
Add water until the total volume in the pot is 3½ gallons. Boil for 45 minutes then add:
½ oz. German Hallertau Hersbrucker Flavor Hop
⅛ tsp. Grains of Paradise
1 tsp. Irish Moss
Boil for 13 minutes then add:
¼ oz. German Hallertau Hersbrucker Aroma Hop
⅛ tsp. Grains of Paradise
Boil for 2 minutes. Remove the pot from the stove and chill the wort for 20 minutes. Strain the wort into the primary fermenter and add cold water to obtain 5⅛ gallons. When the wort temperature is below 80°F, pitch the yeast.
1 pkg. Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale
or
1 pkg. Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II
Ferment in primary fermenter for 7 days or until fermentation slows, then siphon into the secondary fermenter. Prime the beer in the second stage with another dose of the same strain of fresh yeast 3 days before bottling. Bottle when fermentation is complete, target gravity is reached and beer has cleared (approximately 6 weeks) with:
½ cup Corn Sugar
⅓ cup Belgian Clear Candi Sugar
That has been boiled for 10 minutes in 2 cups of water. Let prime at 70°F for approximately 6 weeks until carbonated, then store at cellar temperature.

Good Luck

Could you use Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast 3787) for these? I have a Tripel in the primary right now...when it's done I could pitch wort for one of these recipes right on the cake, if it's the right strain.

Beer Captured by Tess and Mark Szamatulski has a number of Belgian recipes, including the Chimay Grand Reserve (blue label) that I just brewed (all-grain) this past weekend. It is almost identical to the recipe that wild posted, but it calls for Wyeast 1214 (which is rumored to actually be the Chimay yeast) or 1388.

There's also a clone of Westvleteren Abt 12 in that book. I'm definitely going to try that one too, as that is one of my favorite commercial trappist brews.

Every recipe in the book is an extract recipe, with a mini-mash and an all-grain version printed in the sidebar. It's a great book, I highly recommend it.

I'm not sure if you guys have seen this but it's from a BYO article on Belgian strains where Chris White (White Labs) and Dave Loggson (Wyeast) list thier yeast sources:

Wyeast
1214: Chimay
1762: Rochefort
3522: Achouffe
3787: Westmalle
3864: Unibroue
1388: Duval
3538: Corsendonk-Bocq

White Labs
wlp500: Chimay
wlp510: Orval
wlp350: Westmalle
wlp540: Rochefort
wlp550: Achouffe
wlp570: Duval

So, what do you think the difference in the flavor profile would be from using the Trappist High Gravity?

Ah, ok. That's good to know, Sacch. And perhaps appropriate for a dark Belgian to be Dubbel to be drunk in winter. I want to try fermenting directly on a yeast cake, so I think this will be a good candidate.

I'm not sure if you guys have seen this but it's from a BYO article on Belgian strains where Chris White (White Labs) and Dave Loggson (Wyeast) list thier yeast sources:

Wyeast
1214: Chimay
1762: Rochefort
3522: Achouffe
3787: Westmalle
3864: Unibroue
1388: Duval
3538: Corsendonk-Bocq

White Labs
wlp500: Chimay
wlp510: Orval
wlp350: Westmalle
wlp540: Rochefort
wlp550: Achouffe
wlp570: Duval

Thank you so much for this I had seen so much conflicting info on what yeast to use in my chimay clone and glad to read something "official" on it.

Back