The Cat's Pajamas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monk

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 66F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Additional Fermentation
None
6 oz. Crystal 60L
2 oz. Chocolate
1.5 lbs. American 2 row
6 lbs. Alexander's Amber LME

.5 oz. Centennial (9.4%aa) 60 min
.5 oz. Cascade 10 min
.5 oz. Centennial 10 min
.3 oz. Cascade 0 min
.7 oz. Centennial 0 min

Steep/mash the grains for 45 minutes at 152F, or so. Sparge with a little hot water and boil with LME for 60 minutes (I boiled a volume of 3 gallons). Make hop additions at the specified times and make sure your hop quantities and AA are right to get the IBU you want. This came out very balanced, so I don't mess with it now. It is very malty and smooth. Extremely drinkable and a perfect party pint.

Monk

Anybody else made this? I did a partial mash changing the LME to 3 pounds and added 4.5 pounds of two row. Mashed for 1 hour at 151 and added the LME with 15 minutes left in the boil. Excellent beer!

mrk305 said:
Anybody else made this? I did a partial mash changing the LME to 3 pounds and added 4.5 pounds of two row. Mashed for 1 hour at 151 and added the LME with 15 minutes left in the boil. Excellent beer!

Glad you liked it, man. I made it again for halloween and it went over great. I still have a 12er I was going to give away, but now I'm not so sure...;)

Went back to this recipe again, but took it in another direction as an experiment.

6 lbs. Amber LME
11 oz. Crystal 15L
2.5 oz. Chocolate
4 oz. Biscuit

.75 oz. Pride of Ringwood for 45minutes
.5 oz. Challenger 10 minutes
.5 oz. Challenger 0 minutes

Windsor yeast.

I've never used windsor before, so we'll see how it turns out.

In reference to the above...me no likey Windsor.

However, I made another batch of this one and changed it again--best yet, imo.

Cat's PJs III
4.5 gallons

6# Alexander's Amber LME
1/2 # White Wheat
1/2 # British Crystal
1/2 # Victory
2 oz Chocolate malt

Glacier for bittering
.5 oz Centennial (10 min)
.5 oz Cascade (10 min)
.5 oz Centennial (0 min)
.5 oz Cascade (0 min)

I boiled a bit more vigorously and ended up with 4.5-4.75 gallons, but I think the slightly higher concentration is actually really good! I used S-05 Chico dry yeast this time. It's very caramelly and rich, and very hoppy at the same time.

Back