Stomach ache.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breisspastor

Reaction score
OK this post is rather odd and personal post, but I would like to have some discussion on this. I am new at brewing and drinking home brew. I have wondered about a few things. After an evening of drinking my home brew (maybe about three to four beers) my stomach is just messed and I just can’t stay out of the bathroom:( . Also my eyes are just red when I have had plenty of sleep and no other symptoms of hang over. The Brew tastes great but seems just to wreak my system unlike over the counter beer. Any Idea of what could be a problem- is it the yeast? Would Laagering be better? Do I need to filter my Ale? Let me know what has happened to you or what you think.

Hershey squirts, eh? Yumm...

Take some Immodium AD and call it a day. It's worth it if your homebrew is good... :)

Seriously: No problems on this end as far as HB goes...

olllllo said:
breisspastor
Brewpastor

hmmm....

He's no Brewpastor if he can't handle good ol' homebrew. :cross:

OP - could be the yeast, but not sure why that would give you red-eyes. Definitely could give you the craps though depending how much you ingest. olllllo's guess is legit as well...

My beers have never given me a wink of trouble. They are as clear and tasty as commercial brew by the time I drink them and never had any issue...

You aren't drinking them after 1 week in primary, then 1 week in the bottle are you? There should be little yeast sediment in the bottle, not 1/4"... and you might not want to drink it if you can't stomach it. Pour carefully... I keg now, so usually not an ounce of yeast in my glass... The first 1-2 from the keg, maybe some, but after that, in the clear...

Don't think so... I have bread, pasta and other wheats all the time without a problem. I hope not- that would stink. Breisspastor and brewpastor are not related...I did steal is Idea even thought the good book says not to steal:)

Could be the yeast...but only if your procedure is leaving unusually high amounts of yeast in your brew.

First thing I'd do is go buy a commercial non-filtered ale like Boulevard Wheat.

If you don't get the same effect, it's not just yeast...it's your yeast. Celiac would probably affect you with most any commercial beer.

Tell us about your typical brewing procedure:
Extract?
All grain?
Bottling?
Kegging?
Priming?
How long do you primary/secondary your beers?
Typical ingredient list?

I don't think the Beer is "Green." They are Extract kits from Northern Brewer seeing that I live in Mpls St. Paul and I go by the book: John Palmer's and intructions provided by NB. I Go from 6-weeks before consuming.

Oh The pastor thing is not saying that I am good at brewing-it's just who I am and what I do.

nothing seems to happen when I drink at brewpubs or Micros. That is why I was wondering about this. It could be the yeast- I don't mind bitter so I havn't been so careful during pooring the beer- I think that will change - I now am reminded about what Palmer said about the Laxitive effect.

Hey...I made that one for my wife! I don't really care for it... Or are you telling me the truth: evil doth resideth in thy wheat beer!

1.How many batches have you done?

2. If more than one do the others make you run?

3. If its the first time that beer has given you the Hershey's maybe the yeast strain used or possibly the beer is infected?

send a couple to me I'll try them...j/k

I don't see a mention of sanitizer yet, what kind are you using? There are a few brewers on the forum who didn't know that they had an allergy to iodine, or iodophor. Maybe it's not neccesarily the beer, but something else you're using?

If you don't have these effects from other gluten-containing foods, then it's unlikely celiac disease. Do you have any other allergies or sensitivities? Any to mold? It could be your yeast, but have you thought about sanitizers/cleaners? Is your equipment well rinsed off, if necessary? The only thing I noticed when I first started drinking homebrew is an increase in boofers (i.e., gas... we used to call them "boofers" when I was a kid and I still call them that as sort of a joke). But after a few days they went away, so I guess my system got used to it.

1. the three mentioned below.
2. dk...I usally don't stick with one kind of beer..I'll try that and see what happens
3. nice try..

It is evil in a bottle I tell you! Billy Sunday missed the target. He needed to focus. :D

You are a good man to make a beer for your wife, don't pay any attention to me. I am just ranting a little.

sanitzer- one step, no rinse. No Idodine. Oh and the "boofers" are a plenty..Glad I have my own Office today. :)

I have a solution. You are POSSESSED by EVIL YEAST. Only the Brewpastor can perform the proper ceremony to rid you of your evils, using the rites of HERMS.

blacklab said:
I have a solution. You are POSSESSED by EVIL YEAST. Only the Brewpastor can perform the proper ceremony to rid you of your evils, using the rites of HERMS.

Yes, send me 12, 12 oz. beers for 12 months, and the case of your pain will be decreased.

My guess is that you haven't been drinking homebrew very long and usually drink filtered and/or pastuerized beers. Nothing wrong with that - not a judgement call - but the yeast, I've read, can cause GI problems for a while. You should get used to it pretty quick. The red eyes - hangover?:D

Hope things get better in that department for you soon.

Have the final gravities been high? Sometimes complex malt sugars can be direct problem. They also can radically alter the microflora mix in your gut.

Try this experiment. Take a loratidine-based antihistamine about 30 minutes before you start drinking. That will block most allergic reactions for 24 hours.

Back