Collaboration not Litigation Ale - Breweries working together?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9/9

Collembola!
Reaction score
I picked up a bottle of Collaboration not Litigation Ale from Avery today. Here is their description:

Salvation. The name of two intricate Belgian-style ales, created by us : Vinnie Cilurzo of Russian River Brewing and Adam Avery of Avery Brewing. After becoming friends a few years ago, we realized that we both had a Salvation in our line-ups. Was it going to be a problem? Should one of us relinquish the rights? "Hell no!" we said. In fact, it was quickly decided that we should blend the brews to catch the best qualities of each and create an even more complex libation. In April 2004, in top-secret meeting at Russian River Brewing (well actually it was packed in the pub, and many were looking over our shoulders wondering what the hell was going on), we came up with the perfect blend of the two Salvations. Natalie, Vinnie's much more significant other, exclaimed, "We should call this Collaboration, not Litigation Ale!" "Perfect!" we shouted. We celebrated deep into the night, (or is it morning?). Fast forward to February 2008, and we completed our second blending of these two fine ales. Batch 2 will become available to the public February 12th.

All profits from this joint venture will fund a return educational trip to Belgium with our bros Tomme (Port Brewing), Sam (Dogfish Head Brewing) and Rob (Allagash Brewing). This pilgrimage will enable us to learn even more about traditional brewing techniques to combine with our already strange and unique styles here in America. Gezondheid!"

I haven't tried it yet, but I like the idea of two breweries putting a batch together like this. Anyone know of any other brews that are a combination deal like this one?

Dark Horse and Corner brewed the "Dark Corner" together. From Dark Horse's site:
We have teamed up with The Corner Brewery (Arbor Brewing) to be completely original and blow your freaking minds. Here's the skinny-1 recipe, 2 brewers with passion, 2 completely different brew systems, one crazy beer. Thats right Aaron and Matt (from The Corner) wrote a recipe (we're not telling you what) and each brewer will travel to the others brewery to brew it. It will be on tap and in stores in MI, IN, and WI in mid-late June. Check out our events page for details on the release partys at Dark Horse and The Corner, it's gonna be absurdely crazy
They sell it in 6 packs, 3 of each with different color caps to tell the difference (Red = Corner, Black = Dark Horse).

Reviews:
http://ratebeer.com/beer/arbor-dark-corner-ale-2007/77038/
http://ratebeer.com/beer/dark-horse-dark-corner-ale-2007/74933/

I remember preferring the Arbor Dark Corner at the summer Michigan beer fest. That may be all I remember...

I don't know either of those breweries (doesn't look like they distribute to NC), but I like the idea of two versions of the same brew.

I like the idea that when they found out they made the same style of beer with the same name, rather than suing they decided to blend them together for marketing PR.

Now if only the RCA cable industry would do the same....

Basicbrewing Radio did a neat podcast about it.

February 15, 2007 - Collaboration with Adam Avery
Adam Avery from Avery brewing in Boulder, Colorado lets us in on some of the behind-the-scenes details of brewing "Collaboration not Litigation Ale" with Vinnie Cilurzo from Russian River brewing.

Click Here to listen.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr02-15-07.mp3

I was at the tasting room at avery sometime after the release of Collaboration. They had both the Avery and Russian River Salvation's on tap, and collaboration. I prefer the Avery Salvation, RR's was great too, the blend didn't do it for me.

On another note, I love the way that Adam Avery messes with Salvation. They always have a dry-hopped, oaked, or some weird wild-yeast version of Sally at the brewery which is fantastic. I made a great clone of salvation (with Adam's help) and oaked it and blended in chardonnay to mimic one of the sally's they did. Also had a version called "Bad Sally" at the Boulder Stong Ale Fest last weekend, oaked with brett, amazing!

Rez'ing an old thread, sorry. Seemed most appropriate place to post this:

Picked up a 22oz bottle at Lukas Liquor in K.C. KS. Was around $10, don't remember exactly. This is Batch #2, brewed Feb 08.

Color is a beautiful amber, pours with a rocky off-white head.
Aroma is great, malty brilliance with Belgian esters and light-fruit scents. Hint of alcoholic whiff to it.
Taste is surprisingly malty. Very nice main palate of toast and bread and biscuit. Hints of ester and hop wisp in-and-out of your senses, while the great breadiness of this beer stays constant. A little bit of fig, apple, and perhaps honey in the taste. Fairly sweet finish, but not cloying, very VERY drinkable.
I'm glad I don't have this on tap, because at 8.72% ABV, I would be in grave peril, because this is just so good and drinkable that I've already finished half the bomber. :p

There's a lot of beer coming out as collaborations lately. the most recent one in these parts is a Stone/Alesmith/Mikkeller tripel. I need to go get some of that. Tomme Arthur from Lost abbey did one with de proef (could have been better) and Green Flash and I believe Marin Brewing did one called Grand Freak (a miz of Grand Funk from Marin and Super Freak from Green Flash)

Collaboration is a good beer too. I enjoy it. The craft scene is very complimentary and I love that.

Not sure if your still reading this, care to share your clone recipe? I would love to brew this up for my bro-in law 50th birthday bash!

Thanks
Julian

Latest posts

Back