Caramel Apple Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That still does not answer my question. I'm nervous that mixing the honey and fermented cider will ruin it. I'm curious I hear how others hVe done it. Thank you

Just wanted to send an update. We used 120lbs of apples from a friend's tree. We basically cut the cores out and used a machine to grind everything up. The machine would spit the peels out the front and let the juice drain below. Once we had enough juice (just under 5 gallons), I filtered it a few times to get the apple sauce out. I heated it up to 160 degrees to kill anything in it. While that was cooling, I carmelized my sugar and juice mixture for about 20 minutes. I had 5x the sugar and juice according to the original recipe. I then mixed that with the rest of the juice in the plastic fermenter. It took overnight for this to cool to 70 degrees. I stirred like crazy for about 15 minutes and then added in my WLP775 (cider yeast), put the lid on, added the airlock, and waited. The first day, we did smell the rhino farts, but it wasn't WAY overpowering. It was just enough to notice. After the first day, the rhino farts were gone. There was basically no smell coming from the airlock. I haven't seen a single bubble in there, but I hadn't checked it really the first day. I was afraid that no fermentation was happening. After 6 days, my original gravity of 1.095 is now about 1.075, so I believe the fermentation is happening. I'll keep this updated as often as I can, I want to stop fermenting when the gravity gets to about 1.030 (~8.7 % ABV). I plan to backsweeten just as the original recipe suggests, then keg and refrigerate. Let me know if anyone has any comments, suggestions, or questions. Any would be appreciated.

Just wanted to send an update. We used 120lbs of apples from a friend's tree. We basically cut the cores out and used a machine to grind everything up. The machine would spit the peels out the front and let the juice drain below. Once we had enough juice (just under 5 gallons), I filtered it a few times to get the apple sauce out. I heated it up to 160 degrees to kill anything in it. While that was cooling, I carmelized my sugar and juice mixture for about 20 minutes. I had 5x the sugar and juice according to the original recipe. I then mixed that with the rest of the juice in the plastic fermenter. It took overnight for this to cool to 70 degrees. I stirred like crazy for about 15 minutes and then added in my WLP775 (cider yeast), put the lid on, added the airlock, and waited. The first day, we did smell the rhino farts, but it wasn't WAY overpowering. It was just enough to notice. After the first day, the rhino farts were gone. There was basically no smell coming from the airlock. I haven't seen a single bubble in there, but I hadn't checked it really the first day. I was afraid that no fermentation was happening. After 6 days, my original gravity of 1.095 is now about 1.075, so I believe the fermentation is happening. I'll keep this updated as often as I can, I want to stop fermenting when the gravity gets to about 1.030 (~8.7 % ABV). I plan to backsweeten just as the original recipe suggests, then keg and refrigerate. Let me know if anyone has any comments, suggestions, or questions. Any would be appreciated.

As an update, after 15 days total, we're down to 1.048 from our starting gravity of 1.095. It is starting to smell more like hard cider. I haven't really had any airlock activity this entire time. Still planning on stopping the fermentation at 1.030, might be another week or so.

As an update, after 15 days total, we're down to 1.048 from our starting gravity of 1.095. It is starting to smell more like hard cider. I haven't really had any airlock activity this entire time. Still planning on stopping the fermentation at 1.030, might be another week or so.

Any particular reason for shooting for 1.030? The reason I ask is that most people say higher than 1.020 is too sweet for them. At around 1.015-20 is as high as I have gotten mine. Let me know how it turns out.

I was shooting for 1.030 because I didn't want it to be too strong and/or taste too much like wine. The Woodchuck Amber that we like is only 6% ABV, so I didn't want to get too much higher than 8-9%. I may taste at 1.030 without the honey backsweeten and see if the alcohol content is right or if the entire thing is still too sweet. The opinion is appreciated though and I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm going to taste today as it should be around 1.030.

Just tasted at 1.040 and it does seem a bit sweet, kind of thick actually. I liked it, but I can say for sure that 1.040 is too high to stop fermenting. :)

Just tasted at 1.040 and it does seem a bit sweet, kind of thick actually. I liked it, but I can say for sure that 1.040 is too high to stop fermenting. :)

LOL, that's not much lower than straight up AJ. As far as not much wine taste is concerned, I was told by adding sugar it increased the "wine taste". From what I can tell, this is pure horse****. My last batch I tried that theory with poor results. I ended up with what tasted like watered down white wine. Thankfully, I like to keep experimental ingredients on hand and dropped some butterscotch candy in at bottling....we'll see how that goes.

Edit: I just took a reading from a Woodchuck raspberry and it measured 1.030 so they must start out at 1.060 and stop it early.

Does the raspberry list a 5% ABV or a 6%? Based on those gravity listings, wouldn't it be only 4%? So I started around 1.095 and it looks like I may wait until 1.020 or so to move on to the next step. I suppose I'll just keep tasting as the gravity keeps getting lower and see where I think it isn't so sweet/thick, but try to catch it before it gets super dry. I'll keep everyone updated. 1.020 should put me around 10% ABV. I'll keep everyone updated. :)

Actually, I believe all Woodchucks are 4%. I got a sixer of pear and 2 sixers of raspberry for the swmbo (on clearance and I can reuse the bottles) .....but they are both 4%.

Dang, I don't know why I was thinking they were more. I know a long time ago, there was a 1% difference I thought, but I'm thinking back like 7-8 years. Well, I guess that settles it. lol

New to cider making. This will be my first batch. Started two 1 gallon carboys one week ago! All the feedback on this cider is making this a great beginner brew. I attempted it with exceedingly cheap walmart apple juice, so if it even comes decent I'll be excited and use better juice for the next batch. I have two questions about the upcoming rack and bottling -
1)If it's harsh (hot) to my taste should I attempt to go beyond the back sweetening with honey and try and use some apple concentrate to flavor, or should I just have faith in the maturation process?
2) I have some Champagne bottles that I was planning on bottling/carbonating in before using papper's pasteurization method, has anyone used his method with anything over 20oz? I assume a regular corked wine bottle won't hold the pressure? Also if you've carbonated in a larger bottle how long did it take?
Thanks

I have a question about hydrometer reading...
I too am new to fermenting, and have a 5 gallon carboy of this caramel apple cider going, but juiced about 30 pounds of apples prior to that batch, did not have a hydrometer to test at that time.
So, I have 2 gallons of juice, pasteurized it to 165, added 3/4 cup of raw sugar to each gallons worth, waited for it to cool completely and pitched my yeast, the airlocks were vigorous right from the get go (I used champagne yeast), it's the 21st day and the airlocks have been quiet for about a week. I finally got the hydrometer in the mail and when I siphoned some off and tested it the reading was almost none, the whole thing sunk and read at the top line.
Is this normal for this stage? If not, do you see any glaring omissions on my part. It has been kept at a steady 65 degrees, not jostled or messed with. I'd hate to be a dud right out of the gate~
But I was at a wine making class this morning and they said the brix (sugar) is 24-26 at harvest and it's finished at -2 to -3... then you go on to secondary fermentation, is our cider like that?
Thank you in advance for any help or comments.

New to cider making. This will be my first batch. Started two 1 gallon carboys one week ago! All the feedback on this cider is making this a great beginner brew. I attempted it with exceedingly cheap walmart apple juice, so if it even comes decent I'll be excited and use better juice for the next batch. I have two questions about the upcoming rack and bottling -
1)If it's harsh (hot) to my taste should I attempt to go beyond the back sweetening with honey and try and use some apple concentrate to flavor, or should I just have faith in the maturation process?
2) I have some Champagne bottles that I was planning on bottling/carbonating in before using papper's pasteurization method, has anyone used his method with anything over 20oz? I assume a regular corked wine bottle won't hold the pressure? Also if you've carbonated in a larger bottle how long did it take?
Thanks

1. Have faith in the yeast!
2. I have used anything from champagne bottles to Corona bottles and they both work fine. Be careful not to get the corks wet.

I have a question about hydrometer reading...
I too am new to fermenting, and have a 5 gallon carboy of this caramel apple cider going, but juiced about 30 pounds of apples prior to that batch, did not have a hydrometer to test at that time.
So, I have 2 gallons of juice, pasteurized it to 165, added 3/4 cup of raw sugar to each gallons worth, waited for it to cool completely and pitched my yeast, the airlocks were vigorous right from the get go (I used champagne yeast), it's the 21st day and the airlocks have been quiet for about a week. I finally got the hydrometer in the mail and when I siphoned some off and tested it the reading was almost none, the whole thing sunk and read at the top line.
Is this normal for this stage? If not, do you see any glaring omissions on my part. It has been kept at a steady 65 degrees, not jostled or messed with. I'd hate to be a dud right out of the gate~
But I was at a wine making class this morning and they said the brix (sugar) is 24-26 at harvest and it's finished at -2 to -3... then you go on to secondary fermentation, is our cider like that?
Thank you in advance for any help or comments.

What number was it reading at? Ciders usually go below 1.000 down to 0.995 I think is the lowest. Brix is measured with a refractometer but there are converters out there to specific gravity and then to % ABV. At 21 days I would leave it for another few days to a week and test the gravity again. A consistent gravity reading would mean that the cider has stopped fermentation. As for it being normal it completely depends on the temperature and yeast strain during fermentation.

Used the plastic champagne corks... appeared to work great. I have only "papper" stove top pasturized two bottles but it's working great, no bottle bombs! typing this after taste testing my first two bottle..... heed the warnings! It will definitely knock you on your *&^ if you aren't careful! Looking forward to letting it mature and trying it in a month or two, already have a 5 gallon batch started.

Update: I've decided to transfer my cider to a secondary. Gravity is 1.020, down from 1.095 starting, so we're right around 10% ABV. I've carmelized the honey and I've added to a half full secondary. (I used cheese cloth to filter, as the fresh juiced cider still had some grit in it) I shook/swished for a long time and added the rest of the cider. I thought it was mixed up good, but this morning I've noticed that it seems to have settled on the bottom. I am going to keg/carbonate immediately when I get home tonight, just didn't have time last night. My intention was not to get the yeast going again. Any questions, concerns, or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kegging - can I just keg the cider after fermentation and add the Caramel syrup and throw keg in kegerator or is adding the Camden tablets a must? I hope to keep this transfer simple. I understand this could potentially impact the overall sweetness, but seems like extra cost/work if minimal impact.

**Sorry wrong thread**

Had 2 batches of this going for the last month. Fermentation is taking forever!
First batch is 5 gallons but couldn't dissolve the caramel. Second is in a demijohn so managed to dissolve most of it.
Have ordered a pasteuriser as our cookers been broken for a while and it's a lot simpler to do! Turns up today so aiming to bottle later in the week :D

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

i just bottled the cider after 3 weeks and took a taster of it. it tasted really bitter and harsh like alcohol, no sweetness at all. even after adding the honey it didnt change it much. it also had an odd sour smell to it. it didnt have any mold or floaters... what happend ?

I've just had the same. Bottles 2 sets of this 3 days ago, both done slightly differently and one wry table sugar and one brewing sugar. Both taste and smell like beer or lager. No sweetness at all.

They haven't even been ageing for a month and it's very popular. However it's turned out as a very strong apple cider with it's abv at 10.5%!
Not the result I was hoping for as it's very dry and I love my sweet cider but its still not half bad

New cider maker here. This recipe sounds easy enough. What kind of sugar do I use, does it matter? Does regular sugar you use to make cookies work? Also I'm worried about bottle bombs, but I want a carbonated final product. Is there a way to carb them up and then have the process stop without having to use the stove top method? Would throwing in fridge work? I've had a few mason jars break on me during canning on stove top which is scary stuff but this sounds worse so I would like to avoid it if possible.

I'm contemplating making this as my first cider. With the holidays coming up, I was thinking about making it apple pie-esque by adding some apple pie spices. Anyone ever done anything like this with a cider? Any advice?

Newbie here. Finally got around to making this. Been going about a week and half. Gonna let it go another 2-3 weeks then check the sg. Few questions for when it's done fermenting. I plan to rack into another glass jug then add the honey and mix. I don't want it carbonated so I bottle and pasteurize the same day? I want it pretty sweet so will the honey be enough or do you think I will need to add more sugar or juice concentrate (which would be better?)? After pasteurized what do I do with the bottles, store in fridge or not? How long do they age before they taste good to drink? Thanks

I started two gallons of this yesterday, was doing one but accidentally used twice the amount of sugar so ran out and got more juice for two gallons. I used lalvin d47 in one and k1v1116 in the other, the only two yeast I have right now, and I don't really know their flavor profiles so I hope they turn out well

I am getting ready to do the recipe as stated, was curious, I have Nottingham yeast, is a half packet plenty for a 1 gallon batch?
Also, I don't intend on carbing the cider, the only thing I like with fizz is my ice cold beer. So pasteurizing really isn't necessary, I can bottle and submit to freezing cold temps to kill the yeast, right? I really don't want to chem treat it.

Correct me if i am wrong but im sure cold temps only cause the yeast to go dormant which is fine if your cider lives in a fridge until its drunk but if not i think the addition of the honey after fermentation would cause secondary fermentation if the cider gets warm enough.

Holy crap! I made a cider and instead of putting the caramel in during fermentation, I added it as a back-sweetner, and it is amazingly good! And it sneaks up on you too:drunk: I used 2 cups of white sugar with 1 cup of Mexican piloncillo sugar, which is not brown sugar, but raw, unrefined sugar.

I have another cookin' following the recipe exactly, anxious to see how it turns out.

One thing I've found, I drizzled about 1 cup of cold apple juice into the hot caramel a bit at a time while whisking the crap out of it until I had it cooled down and liquid enough to add to the cider.

I brewed this over the weekend, my first cider.

I used Nottingham ale yeast, two different brands of "bio" apple juice without chemicals and brewing sugar that I mixed in boiling water. Added to a glass carboy and fermenting nicely now. Nice clean, beige Krausen. Not sure about the smell though, it's not sulfur, nor tartness. More like pie ...

Anyway, I forgot to take the OG readings. What should I expect for original gravity using brewing sugar? And the final gravity?

My plan is to let it in primary for 2 or 3 weeks, then 2 weeks in secondary (colder, racked). Then rack it again, kill the yeast with campden + potassium sorbate, followed by the caramelized honey. I will let this sit for another 2 weeks before bottling. Does this sound good?

To get even an approximate OG, we kinda need to know your measurements / ratio of sugar to juice and did the juice contain sugar as well or was it " no sugar added". Your FG will vary greatly depending on your OG.All of your other steps seem to be in order and coming along nicely . If you are in doubt, you can always trust your tongue, taste along the way. Just be sure to be sanitary. Cheers

Im completely new to brewing and wanted to try this as an easy starter. My only problem is when i think i finally understand things, i just get confused again! As such, can anyone answer me the following...

1. I want to do the alternative to step 8 and bulk age in a plastic keg. How do i carbonate after back sweetening? Am i right in thinking that ill just create a keg bomb with all the extra sugar thats added? I was assuming that the k-meta would kill the yeast and if this is true, then how can you then carbonate your drink?

Thanks

It would take a very brave soul to try to carb cider on their first outting. Plastic ( unless its a soda bottle) is not made to hold high pressure. I recommend , for your first batch or two at least, get your recipe to where you like it before you worry about carbing. If you are hell bent to kill the yeast , back sweeten and carbing, you can go to an auto parts store and get a tire valve stem, drill a hole in a soda cap and shoot CO2 into it. I do this all the time to try out small batches.

It would take a very brave soul to try to carb cider on their first outting. Plastic ( unless its a soda bottle) is not made to hold high pressure. I recommend , for your first batch or two at least, get your recipe to where you like it before you worry about carbing. If you are hell bent to kill the yeast , back sweeten and carbing, you can go to an auto parts store and get a tire valve stem, drill a hole in a soda cap and shoot CO2 into it. I do this all the time to try out small batches.

Thanks rolltide! I think I'll just stick to the still cider for the min! My wife did buy me a plastic keg with a safety valve on it so you shoot co2 into it! It says it has a safe working pressure of 15psi on the keg. Am I right in thinking then that when I've got the hang of still cider, I could potentially put co2 in that way to carbonate it? If I can, how do you know when your up to the right carbonation levels as there I can't see any way of monitoring the co2 level and pressure inside!?

Thanks for replying and apologies if the answers to these questions are blatantly obvious to everyone else! I just don't want to blow my shed up as the wife would kill me! :)

Blow up the shed, lmao. Okay, so yes, you are correct. You want to master your cider then use your keg to carb it. Do keep in mind though that carbing works best when the liquid is cold. As for how to get it in there, I don't know what kind of a keg you have to suggest anything specific. Online brewing supplies are a staple for us homebrewers to get your connectors, regulators, etc. Then get refills of CO2 at your local paintball shop or Academy sports.

Thanks for taking the time to reply rolltide! I tried my first batch of this recipe today and it's fantastic! I'm not even sure I'll ever want to carb it it was that good still! :)

So today I measured the final gravity and it's at 1010. Tastes great, has a nice apple flavour, slightly tart and a nice alcohol burn without being too overwhelming. Very happy so far.

Personnaly, I'm happy with the alcohol percentage as it is now. Can I kill the yeast now for back sweetening or would you advise to let it ferment out?

*edit* I let it sit for a while at room temperature, final gravity was about 1012. I've decided to let it ferment for a few weeks more. I did already transfer to a second "dame jeanne", is this a problem?

Cheers
Gilles

It will continue to ferment in this transfer, although at a much slower rate. I was just curious as to why you would continue to ferment if you're happy with it. Don't forget, the longer it ferments, the drier it will get.....along with more of an alcohol and less apple taste.

Back