Help setting up 3 phase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tektonjp

Reaction score
I'd like to start brewing down at my shop. The main reason is I have a cinder block shed attached which would make a nice compact brew room away from all the sawdust. This room is also hosts all the electricity coming into my shop. So I would like to go electric. I understand the basics, but I sure am looking for some advice. Please keeping mind this is in JAPAN. Voltage is 100 and 200.

I have two feeds coming into my room. I have a 50 amp single phase. Most of this goes to the 40 amp sub-panel in my workshop (seems small, doesn't it?). And I also have a 3 phase feed which has a 30 amp main breaker on it. This one only is used (for now) to power an old A/C unit on occasion in the summer. My question: how can I use this 3 phase for brewing? What are my options? I know there are ways to split the legs, but how does that work? What size of element(s) can I use with this?

I normally brew 5 gallon/ 20 liter batches. I'd like to probably set up a 3 vessel system, perhaps using an old 5 gallon round igloo for HLT. Single pump and a CFC is also on hand.

you can use any 2 out of the 3ph for single phase so you could size your elements at max for 200volt 25amps, I dont have any way of finding your voltage elements over here
good luck

Unsure of the codes in Japan...

In Canada, loading is 80%. 80% of 30 is 24A.

You could probably get away with 5kW elements. (200V * 25A = 5000W)
A regular 5kW element rated at 208/240VAC would work, but as you would be operating at a lesser voltage, it will under perform a bit, but that should make you safe.

#10 wire here, 5.5mm over there.

EDIT:
And to really answer your question, yes, phase to phase should get you what you need. Just treat it as a 240V circuit over here.

... I always seem to be hung up on codes, but if you follow the code you have a lot of empirical evidence behind you.

Another issue with power in Japan is it runs on 50 hz not 60 hz. So if you get anything that has a electric timer it will run 10 minutes slow every hour. It was a pain at first when I was stationed there living off base and having to figure out the auto brew on the coffee pot.......

Another issue with power in Japan is it runs on 50 hz not 60 hz. So if you get anything that has a electric timer it will run 10 minutes slow every hour. It was a pain at first when I was stationed there living off base and having to figure out the auto brew on the coffee pot.......

Must be why I feel years behind!

Wait..
The Auber Instruments PID SYL-2352 has a powe input of:
"Power supply voltage rating 85~264VAC/50~60Hz"

Send P-J gifts! He has lent out his brain to lots of brewers building electric home breweries.

BeerguyNC61 said:

Actually, Japan had two different grids. Tokyo and Eastern Japan runs at 50 hz, and Western Japan runs at 60 hz. Most modern appliances are dual. Often though, motors will be wound for a specific frequency. I don't think an element would be affected by one or the other, although the stated wattage will be less because of the voltage, right?

So if I have a 4500 watt element in the both the HLT and the BK, I could theoretically have both on at the same time (if I were brewing back to back)?

Back