To dump or not to dump...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rancidcrabtree

Reaction score
I have an IPA that tastes like solvent. It was brewed back and the end of December and I had some efficiency issues and didn't get near my planned SG so I added two pounds of brown sugar to the boil (stupid I know). Ever since I bottled it I have been trying about one a week in the hope that it would mellow, and it has a bit but not enough that I can make it through a whole bottle. Now, after four months the hop character is fading and the beer still tastes terrible... In my opinion life is too short to drink beer I don't like, and I would really like to have the bottles free to put something better in. Should I go ahead a dump the almost two cases I have left of it, or save it and see if it ever gets to the point where it will be drinkable? I'm leaning towards dump but I'll let it be a community decision!

Many tell a tale of beer that improves with much aging but I'm with you, life is too short to drink crummy brew and if your pipeline demands more empty bottles then I'd either slug through them or maybe pour them. I'd definitely keep a couple stashed away to try months/years+ from now.

Let this be a lesson to you, have more bottles on hand! :)

Unless you have less discerning (aka alcoholic) friends, this sure sounds like a possible cabdidate for a drain pour.

i think all of us have that one friend that you dont invite over if you are low on beer because he will drink anything and everything. take the bottles by and give them on the condition he rinses them out for you. just tell him you like it but it gives you heartburn.

I will cry a tear for a spilled beer but if its bad dump it. IPA's don't improve with age.

I agree. This is one of the few circumstances where dumping it is probably the best answer. If it's not good after several months and it's just getting worse it's time to free the bottles up.

At least you'll be giving whatever lines your sink drains nasty tasting homebrew so that it doesn't request more later on... j/k.

You've been more patient than 95% of us here and waited it out four months, I say it is time to part ways with this feller and dump it. I had a Moose Drool clone that was never any good for whatever reason. I managed to drink them all but it took months to do so. I've also had a cider beer that was undrinkable for four months but is quite tasty now, but now we're talking apples and oranges (sorry, I couldn't resist the pun).

Better luck next time! :mug:

Alright, it sounds like the verdict is in, I'll be dumping the nasty IPA sometime soon to make room for better beer in the bottles. Next up in the pipeline is my Moose Drool clone, which fortunately turned out pretty darn good, or at least the uncarbed hydro sample was pretty tasty. Thanks all for all of the advise!

Latest posts

Back