Question on Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jethro2

Reaction score
I have never dry hoped any of my brews before. When is it too late to Dry Hop a Beer?

I just got done brewing a Big Ben Pale Ale and put it in the Keg. The O.G. was 1.048 F.G. was 1.014. It is still young but I used some hops that were old and should have been replaced before brewing. Beer has a nice malty taste, good alcohol content and carbonation; however it needs more hop presence. Can I bag up an ounce of something and throw it in the keg for a few days and expect good results????

I usually dry hop for 7 days or so. Some will go longer but that's just my preference. As long as fermentation is done your good to go. We even dry hop in the keg from time to time. There no real cut off as to when a beer is too far along to dry hop.

I would say it wouldnt hurt,as far as a small amount of time i would think more would get you where you want,but it would seem like a shame waste of hops to not maximize their potential with more time. Im going to try two weeks this time,ive only done about 5-6 days,one loose pellots and the other few in a hop bag with pellots that was floating on top. I think im going to get the marbels or tea balls.

I am going to find a nice Hop for Ale, throw it in an old sock with a couple of marbles and a long string tied to something that will float on top and leave it there for a week just to see what it does for me.

Thanks for the help......

i've found that dry hopping in the keg takes longer and isn't quite as pungent - a week won't be very long at all - i leave my dry hops in the keg for many weeks at a time till it's kicked with no noticeable negative flavors so far. i now dry hop for a week after primary fermentation is done at room temp and then add another 1-3oz in the keg

i'd also be hesitant to use an old sock no matter how clean it is - prob just a mental thing but I would never put an old sock into anything i'm going to drink

I speak with "toung in cheek" or as my wife would say head up a** when I say an old sock.

I picked up some sanitized roll tube medical gauze that works great for Hops bags and I use them all the time with great results.

i've found that dry hopping in the keg takes longer and isn't quite as pungent - a week won't be very long at all - i leave my dry hops in the keg for many weeks at a time till it's kicked with no noticeable negative flavors so far.

^^ I find this to be true as well (talking about a cold keg here, not room temp dry hopping using keg like a secondary).

One thing - if the keg is fairly full and already carbed be ready for some foam when you drop the hops in. Have the lid ready to go right back on.

Back