I'd Love to Cork my Special Releases...how's this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I haven't actually thought a whole lot about it, but, yeah, I'd definitely use a wire cage.

Thanks for the instructional video. I'll be sure to massage the grapes while I'm soaking the corks. :D

I have that exact same corker for wine, but I don't think you can sink the types of corks you use with cages with that corker.

That's a good price. I think I paid $10-12 bucks more.

That is a great price! I paid $59 for mine.

The only issue is that corks and wine bottles don't hold pressure. You'd need champagne bottles and the champagne corks and wires. If you try to cork beer, your corks will pop out as soon as any pressure develops. Wine is still, not carbonated.

So, will this corker work with champagne corks or not? I want to bottle my Belgian in champagne bottles, and have been worried about how I will do that.

Yeah, I wouldn't try it without cages...or I could go the belgian-fantome route, and cork it with flush corks, then cap it. But that doesn't have the same romance to it as the mushroom champagne corks with the cages.

the_bird said:
So, will this corker work with champagne corks or not? I want to bottle my Belgian in champagne bottles, and have been worried about how I will do that.

No, it won't. It comprsses the corks so they insert easily. There is no way a mushroom shaped champagne cork would fit in there.

rdwj said:
No, it won't. It comprsses the corks so they insert easily. There is no way a mushroom shaped champagne cork would fit in there.

Ah, so that's how it works. I always figured a "Portugese Floor Corker" just used a lot of K-Y.

I'll probably just get cappable champagne bottles unless I can find a cheap (~$20 - $30) solution for using the "mushroom" caps.

You can always use the plastic corks for your chapagne bottles. It doesn't look as nice, but if you put foils on them anyways, it won't matter, right? I did that with a bunch of champagne bottles, it was allright. Corks worked fine and with the foils on I got the look I was going for.

I have this one and it will do everything. Corks, crown caps, champagne corks and bottles of all sizes, and I do mean all sizes. If you go here http://www.thehomebrewstore.com/store.htm and search for 6170 it will come up. I always thought this one would be really hard to use but when I tried it in my LHBS it was really easy. I have corked and capped personally with it and it is a dream.

Back