Which Stir Bar for Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scut_Monkey

Reaction score
Lately I have been accruing equipment for yeast starters (ie stir plate, flasks, etc.). My question is for a 1000ml flask what stir bar would you use. I realize a 1 incher should due but do most people prefer the type with the pivot ring in the middle or without the pivot ring. Just wondering which type is most stable, quiet and provides the best areation. Also, has anyone found a cheap source for stir bars.... they can be rather pricey for how simple a product they are. Thanks!

got mine from cynmar.com - great site for cheap lab stuff. mine has no ring, and is stable. it's a tad over 1".

I would recommend stir bar with "O ring" (Pivot Ring). 1" for 1000 ml should be fine. I find that Stir Bar with O Ring is more stable and also quieter. (Less friction). As far as of liquid movement (ring or not ring) they do the same job equally well.

You can find them at Northern Brewer Or Mc Master at McMaster-Carr

They also make a "football" shaped one. I don't have one, but think that it might get quieter.

The first time I made a starter (1L ) the noise was bad. When I stepped up to a bigger flask & stir bar, it was much better. Both of my stir bars have the center ring.

Get the one with a pivot ring. The McMaster ones have rings that can be removed if you like.

Back