Issues w/ frozen concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnirish

Reaction score
Before clogging the forum with yet another backsweetening thread, I've tried to read the dozens of other ones out there but still can't find an answer and don't want to waste another batch of cider.....

The last batch of cider I made I attempted to impart some more apple flavor into it so I used a can of frozen concentrate in place of priming sugar. I let it bottle condition for about 10 weeks before cracking the first one. When I finally sat down to imbibe on my sweet creation the first bottle tasted like a glass of extremely carbonated water. The can of concentrate I used contained about 30g of sugar and a typical package of priming sugar contains about 5 oz or 141 grams. Why when I used the concentrate did it turn out dry and over carbonated when I actually used less "sugar" then would be used with a packet of priming sugar?

My goal was simply to add some more sweetness to the cider while still slightly carbonating it. Did I do something wrong? In reading other threads here it sounded like I could just replace the packet of priming sugar with a can of concentrate but I must have done something else wrong along the way.

Thanks!

You are not going to add any sweetness. The residual yeast will turn the sugar from the concentrate to alcohol. I think Dave is right...that is per serving. If you want to sweeten it up you are going to have to add a nonfermentable sugar.

Yep, I feel like an idiot. 30g per serving. So I shouldn't be using the entire can of concentrate I take it.

The idea of using concentrate to carbonate and leave sweetness isn't really explained well most of the time. The sweetness is more of an illusion. The idea is that if you use apple juice concentrate in place of sugar, all the sugar will ferment out creating the carbonation, as per normal. But what is left of the concentrate might give it more apple flavor then just using sugar would have. It will not leave any residual sugar, but hopefully might bring back some of the apple character. I have not tried it, so I don't know how well it works, but it should at least be different then using priming sugar.

Back