Dissolvable Beer Labels!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poptarts

Reaction score
41D1dfrHDOL._SY450_.jpg

ZBBXgUC.png

Has anyone ever used these before to label their beer? sounds like a really good way to tag them and not have to deal with the cleanup. :rockin:
I bought a pack and will post results of how they work, the only downfall I see is if you put your beer in a ice chest at any point they might dissolve. But I feel like home brew in a ice chest is just a good way to stir up sediment in the bottles anyway. They also should work great to slap on the carboy or yeast if you save them. or hops or grain or or or....

Last edited by a moderator:
Any update on how these worked? Seems like a decent idea, and at less than 2¢ a pop if you're going to be putting some in a cooler no reason not to just put another more-water-safe label right over it.

I'd be interested for sure. Just don't know how they are if the bottles that were once chilled are sitting around getting warm again. Will the condensation cause the label to dissolve?

They work really well actually, bought a roll on eBay. You can use standard ballpoint pen on them and it writes fine. I just wrote the name and ABV on mine. They stick on really well like any other sticker; the edges don’t come up or anything like that. If you put them in an ice chest, you will need put packing tape or something over the top because water destroys them. I haven’t had any issues with them in the fridge or cellar or condensation, but if you left it cold out on the counter for a long time I would guess the water would start to cause issues, but I have not seen this happen yet. They practically dissolved after you rinse out your bottle after pouring into a glass, running water over the sticker for a few seconds makes it vanish with no sticky glue or anything left on the bottle. I will continue to use them and buy more when I run out.

These are the exact ones I purchased, I would assume they are all similar though.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121199926863?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Oh man, if these can just be washed off in the sink, I'm all for it. That's fantastic.

Searching I found Cambro SLL30 labels which seem to be the same in a printable avery 5160 size- http://www.webstaurantstore.com/cam...solvable-product-labels-3000-cs/214SLL30.html

At $85/3000 these are about 1¢/label more than the earlier amazon link but about 1¢/label less than the ebay labels, and I would consider being able to print on them quite a premium.

I might be looking for a local brewer or two to split a pack of the printables for testing

Yea those are the only ones I could find to print on, but you do get a ton of labels just the initial investment price is high. Printing would be nice though since my hand writing sucks. But yea hold under running water for ~10 seconds and they are gone, with no traces.

Nice post. Just ordered a roll ($10 shipping sucks though)

Gelatin with Printed labels should work just as well or better as they won't dissolve in cold water. You don't need fancy ones just type up something like the label in the op. cut it out and gelatine-glue it on. hot water will strip them right off though for easy clean up.

Back